Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How much space do I need?

CraigD1986

Hi All.

I'm thinking of building a pier and then a shed/enclosure with a roll-off roof. The largest scope is a Skywatcher MN190 so quite large. I would like the shed to be as small as possible so I'm trying to work out the minimum amount of space that I need for the scope to be able to fully rotate inside. Are there any particular Az/Alt and Dec co-ordinates that will maximise the outward swing of the scope so that I can calculate how much space I need?

The plan is to use an oak sleeper for the pier, dug in and concreted as deep as I can get it. Then to mount the EQ6-R Pro extension piece on top and then the mount itself.

TIA.

Is this for purely visual or imaging? Imaging needs much less space as you won't be in there while the 'scope is running. My obsy with an ODK12 setup is 2.2 metres square but I left enough room to be able to work on the rig while it was running. A MN190 might get away with 2 metres.

• Like 1

I have a 10 inch f4.8 newtonian mounted centrally in a 2 metre x 2 metre (internal) RoR obsy, no warm room. I can just get a couple of narrow shelves on one wall (east) and a dropdown corner leaf for my laptop (SW corner) and stool for me to sit on. The scope misses the north and south walls by circa 2-3 cm max and I shuffle the the stool around to avoid the bottom of the tube when pointing SE - S. Other directions are OK for me. I predominantly image to the east round to south I'm blocked the north and west by buildings. I hope that paints a picture for you.

Make it slightly bigger than you think you need as scopes tend to grow over time...

My HEQ5/SW200 is in a 2.2m x 2.4m space which is comfortable for visual observation even for two people (the extra length helps).  It also depends on how you propose to open the roof.  If you need to do this from inside then you need room to move around the scope to roll the roof back, so 2.2m x 2.2m would be the minimum I would consider.  If you can open the roof externally then 2m x 2m  might work

Thanks for your input. I won't need to get in it as I'd be using it to image wirelessly. It's more of an enclosure than an obey that I'm looking for. This kind of thing would be perfect:

4 hours ago, CraigD1986 said:

Are there any particular Az/Alt and Dec co-ordinates that will maximise the outward swing of the scope so that I can calculate how much space I need?

Loosen the clutches and give it a swing. Make the shed big enough for you to walk around the scope, belly first, no mather how it points. And a few inces on that again. When the sh*t hits the fan in the wee hours, maybe a meridian flip gone horrible wrong, you don't want to stumble and fall all over the rig.....

I made a test frame out of roofing batton to get the dimensions needed by slewing it about as Rallemikken describes. I added 100mm on all sides and 1m to one side for the entrance, a desk and a cupboard.

Good luck with the build.

Regards

Graeme

• Like 1

Thanks for your responses. I'm not looking for a full on observatory, more of an enclosure so my scope can live outside full time and is all set up and ready to go when the clouds clear.

I've decided to attach a plumb line on each end of the scope to try and work out the circumference of the area I will need for rotation. Then move the mount in RA and Declination to see if I can figure out the maximum arc.

On 12/04/2023 at 13:02, CraigD1986 said:

Thanks for your responses. I'm not looking for a full on observatory, more of an enclosure so my scope can live outside full time and is all set up and ready to go when the clouds clear.

I've decided to attach a plumb line on each end of the scope to try and work out the circumference of the area I will need for rotation. Then move the mount in RA and Declination to see if I can figure out the maximum arc

The only thing I would say about this is that you need to be sure you will not change scope. I built my imaging observatory on the footprint of an old flower bed in the garden which was fine at the time. However, I then purchased my 'ideal' scope, a 130mm triplet refractor. Unfortunately, this was about 3cm too long even if I added lead weight to one end to move the balance point.🙁 I had to sell it a few weeks later. So... if you 'might' change scope I would suggest give yourself some wriggle room.

Have you considered the 'sentry box' design? With this system a sentry-box like shed covers the scope snugly and rolls off fully for use. They are very easy to make since all you need is a plywood floor with a cut-out to let it roll half way past the pier. This is on wheels and rails. Onto it you can bolt a bog standard shed or make your own.

I have a 2.2 metre square rolling roof observatory which I'm currently using for visual with an German equatorial 14 inch SCT. I find it 'possible' but too small.

Olly

On 06/04/2023 at 15:06, CraigD1986 said:

Thanks for your input. I won't need to get in it as I'd be using it to image wirelessly. It's more of an enclosure than an obey that I'm looking for. This kind of thing would be perfect:

Hello,  if you need any help or guidance on building a structure like I did above, give me a shout.  My 'obsy' has just enough room for me to get in, sit on a stool and tinker around what I need to. Obviously witht the roof off, I have more room. I did everything wirelessly but there are times where you do need to get in.  The comment about planning ahead for future scope is important. I have a 150PDS and the roof fully off give me only a few cm of space in each side. Had I a much larger scope then it would not fit. If I was to chance scopes, I would probably opt for a smaller imaging refractor so hopefully that would be a good fit too. Goodluck with whatever you decide.

Regards

On 12/04/2023 at 13:02, CraigD1986 said:

I've decided to attach a plumb line on each end of the scope to try and work out the circumference of the area I will need for rotation. Then move the mount in RA and Declination to see if I can figure out the maximum arc.

This is exactly what I did to get my measurements