SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

April 5, 2023: Lovely solar lunchbreak, with detached prom

Set up the Coronado SolarMax-II 60 mm again over lunch. Loads of activity on the disk. The big AR on the lower left of the disk (south-west of the centre, due to the diagonal in use) showed a lot of bright plage, apart from the spots themselves. Several long thin filaments snaked across the disk, in particular in the southern hemisphere. Quite a few smaller proms showed up as well, with one of the brighter ones at the 9 o'clock position. North of that at about 10 o'clock there were two proms: an upper one which was fairly elongated and firmly attached, and a much longer one, detached from the disk, pointing almost due north (slightly westwards). I guess it must be around 100,000 km long, perhaps longer. Really impressive. It might of course still be attached to the disk by some thin strands of plasma, but there was nothing that I could see.

• Like 5

Thanks for the heads up on this, Michael. I caught a look at this a little later on. Even now I can see though well detached now. There's now another large prom next to it that almost looks like a Christmas tree! There seems to loads of filaments too. 

• Like 1

I just managed to take a look in between clouds. The big northwest prom is still going strong: a massive cloud above the limb, part of it detached. There is a big prom in the southwet as well, like a two wavy candle flames. Lots of other proms all round the dics. This gong image does not do it justice, it's magnificent!

20230406124452Th.jpg

Just clouded over in London after a hour of clear skies. As Nik said, a nicely busy disc, and was able to get up to 140x in very good seeing. 
I always think of Easter as the official start of the solar season - should be a good summer.