SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Guided image number 2.. M51

Vega

You're right.. there really is no turning back... the dark side has got me. Guiding is beeeauuutiful LOL. The night started out nice and clear but very faint, thin cloud rolled in making the stars dim somewhat... I previewed my exposures as they came in and the last few had nowhere near as much galaxy detail as the first. So at exposure number 18, I called it a night.

I hope to add more exposures to this at a later date, but I am delighted with the initial results.

18x 4 minute exposures @ ISO800, CLS filter.

250px for imaging, Bresser 70/700 frac for guiding

Thanks for looking

Matt

post-13313-133877366041_thumb.jpg

Matt, love that image of M51. The stars are really crisp and 'dot' like, no trailing or anything. M51 itself has a beautiful blue colour, gentle and soft but it stands out beautifully against the black doesn't it :) I often enjoy the juxtaposition in DSO images between the crispness and brightness of the stars in the image, and then the haziness (but also the clarity) of the DSO. Wonderful!

Amanda

Very nice again Matt, your guiding and focus are perfect.

Both this and your M101 are a little blue, probably from the CLS filter.

Thse can give a bit of a tint to an image but it's easy to fix.

Try adjusting the colour balance in photoshop....check out some other M101's/51's for reference.

Again, well done :)

Cheers

Rob

Thanks all and I agree Rob, I need to work on the colour. Initially the CLS filter made them greeny-blue in colour, I need to reduce some of the blue a tad more. I'll have a play. :-)

Archived