SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bad start of the year in the UK for the Milky Way

clwonghk

I haven't found any forums or topics created specifically for ranting but enough is enough, I just need somewhere to let off some steam, so here we go

I live in the south of London so my usual astrophotography spots are mostly by the coast of East Sussex and occasionally the south coast of Kent

I am only interested in imaging the Milky Way, since the Milky Way core became visible again in February this year I have been checking my weather apps constantly. Disappointingly there has not been ONE single night that is clear enough to image. Compared to last year around this time I already went out 2 times.

I am so jealous and depressed at the same time looking at all the images shared by photographers living on other parts of the world, I feel like we are missing out a lot 😭

Is the Milky Way core just not visible for long enough (currently 3-4:30am FYI) to avoid all the clouds? Come to think of it, the probability of having a clear sky at exactly 3-4am on the nights where the moon is below horizon, is quite low, given the natural conditions of the UK. Or have I just conveniently missed those night? 😅

Based on your experience, where do you reckon in the UK has the clearest and most stable condition for the Milky Way?

Thanks, 
Marco

Edited by clwonghk
  • Like 1

Don't worry, there's plenty of ranting going on if you know where to look.

There probably isn't a best spot considering is a relatively small land mass surrounded by water and a prevailing wind from the west.

I guess it's drier the further south and east you go, so in theory you're in the best spot. But there's not a lot in it and the UK weather is obviously not exactly predictable. Here in West Wales I got 7-8 nights with a good amount of clear moonless conditions in January and February, which was amazing after an awful November and December. I'm now back into weeks of cloud and rain. If I hadn't had those nights in Jan/Feb I'd certainly be pulling my hair out by now!

As for the milky way - for me, different parts of it are in a good position for imaging from June - March. Not sure what you mean by "core", but the galactic centre is a bit tricky from the UK, as it's so low, and never quite hits astronomical darkness when it pops above the horizon in the night during late spring / early summer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@clwonghk Feel your pain, missed the one (maybe 2) clear nights that we have had in South Norfolk.

Have headed out to Suffolk, only to find the light pollution from the Netherlands was quite bad too!

I've tried in East Sussex, returning after 10 years to High and Over Hill above Alfriston, but the sky glow from Eastbourne was so intrusive...

Am heading to Greece in May, to get another week long "fix".

Good luck,

Chris

Edited by Cjg
Typo
  • Haha 1

On 03/04/2023 at 13:04, Cjg said:

@clwonghk Feel your pain, missed the one (maybe 2) clear nights that we have had in South Norfolk.

Have headed out to Suffolk, only to find the light pollution from the Netherlands was quite bad too!

I've tried in East Sussex, returning after 10 years to High and Over Hill above Alfriston, but the sky glow from Eastbourne was so intrusive...

Am heading to Greece in May, to get another week long "fix".

Good luck,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I haven’t done Suffolk but thanks for the heads up, as for East Sussex I have tried a number of spots along the cliff. I would rate Beachy Head the highest, probably the least amount of light pollution because it is slightly ‘protruded’. Towards May would have the best view as the milkyway is more south and away from the city light, but again when the long summer nights hit you just need to get on with it 🤷🏻‍♂️

All the best,

Marco

On 01/04/2023 at 08:17, Fegato said:

I guess it's drier the further south and east you go, so in theory you're in the best spot. But there's not a lot in it and the UK weather is obviously not exactly predictable. Here in West Wales I got 7-8 nights with a good amount of clear moonless conditions in January and February, which was amazing after an awful November and December. I'm now back into weeks of cloud and rain. If I hadn't had those nights in Jan/Feb I'd certainly be pulling my hair out by now!

As for the milky way - for me, different parts of it are in a good position for imaging from June - March. Not sure what you mean by "core", but the galactic centre is a bit tricky from the UK, as it's so low, and never quite hits astronomical darkness when it pops above the horizon in the night during late spring / early summer.

The UK is truly not the best place in the world for milkyway photography, especially for galactic centre junkies like myself. Being too low, poor weather, ubiquitous light pollution and long summer nights….. 

I’ve always wanted to see the Milky Way in wales, still yet to experience a Bortle 3 sky in the UK. I had the chance to visit Aberdaron last summer, was so excited about the supposingly class 2 sky but sadly cloudy cloudy and cloudy 

This was taken in August from East Sussex if I’m right, it was as far as I could go in terms of contrast

9B113D66-525B-483E-A619-78EA757FCA14.jpeg

• Like 4

Well yes, the galactic centre is certainly tricky, but I try and have a go at Sagittarius in the summer - anything for a challenge, although Rho Ophiuchi still eludes me! However - there's lots of the rest of the milky way to choose from at different times of year at our latitudes, not least the three Cs - Cygnus, Cassiopeia and Cepheus, so best to just enjoy the wonderful bits we can I guess?

As for the Welsh skies - well, if you're in one of the dark areas and pick a clear spell, it's amazing. It's around Bortle 3 here, and having lived in cities all my life previously, I just love it when it's clear. When the moon's up - the night time views and striking shadows are amazing. And when it's down, the stars and milky way are just stunning.