SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Leo 1 Group of Galaxies

Lurcher

Hi all,

Not a very good sketch I'm afraid, but I was so pleased to get out on the only clear night for a while. Unfortunately the moon was already quite bright, but I did enjoy seeing the galaxies in this little group again.  I had been feeling pretty pleased for getting all four galaxies in one sketch, but I've just seen from an earlier sketch I did that I missed NGC 3389 which would've been near NGC 3384 ! (Maybe this was due to the moon).

Still, I was also really pleased on the night that the GoTo and tracking on the scope was once again working well, (I had issues with that for a long time last year after the scope got rained on).  It's a pleasure using it again now.  I just wish I'd had longer on Monday! The time went too quickly with the clocks going forward.

Leo 1 Group.jpg

• Like 12

8 hours ago, Siegfried1969 said:

That is a great sketch ! What telescope did you use for that ? 

I also thought to try to observe and sketch those but with my 110 mm Newtonian, there will be not much to see I am afraid

Thank you! -  It's the 20" SkyWatcher 500P dob. But I also saw the same galaxies, complete with the missing NGC 3384 with a 12" dob a couple of years ago. So please do give it a try too! I think it also comes down to sky conditions too of course. Thank you!

7 hours ago, josefk said:

Nice one @Lurcher - this is on my sketching targets list this spring if ever the cloud clears off though I don't have quite so much aperture as you have been able to point at it. 🙂

Thank you! Hopefully you'll get to see them if you've already taken on quite a few of the Herschel 400 objects! (Also as mentioned above I also saw them, easier it seems! with my old 12" dob.!!) - Best of luck and thank you!