Warm clothing

I know summer is coming but now is the time to grab cheap winter gear. Actually I slightly disagree with the advice given in the Sticky that several thin layers beat one thick one. The 'Layering ' principle is designed for active outdoor fun and games, not sedantry ones. Wicking away sweat is not important to us. My 'winter minus 17C at 3000 feet' clothing solution is; thin longjohns and vest - eg Helly Hansen. Light woolen jumper. VAST Ski salopettes and VAST down filled ski jacket. The latter cost thirty quid in a spring sale, down from £180. It's hideous. Now's the time! And for the feet, Moon Boots. Cat protection league, car boot sales, never pay more than £2. Bung soles cut from camping mat inside because, as the sticky advises, you get cold feet from below. Ideally the colour should clash as badly as possible with the jacket. (Red and yellow in my case but I would have preferred green and orange!) The key is to go for vast and trap more air.

Olly

Heh. Sound advice tbh.

I wear base thermal layer (Longjohns and top) Usually combat pants, 2 pairs of sockes, thermal and wooly inside my hiking boots. There isnt room for a cut up camping mat in there . . . (Good idea though!). Then T-shirt, Berghaus fleece (Keeps me very warm as opposed to cheapies) then a big coat over the top. This combined with fingerless gloves, scarf and those hats with the ear flaps (Get one! You will NOT be cold again!)

Ideally one like this:

bvr-200-lg.jpg

Though mine is a branded animal one.

My dog has recently taken to lying across my feet (with trainers on them) when I am stood at the scope. This might be his attempt at keeping us both warm? The hats with ear flaps are the astronomers best friend, there's nothing more grump-inducing than cold ears! The way to go is, most certainly, hand warmers. :)

Amanda

Tend to use motor bike stuff. The thermals are build for sitting there with wind passing so match up to standing there staring up a scope.

On top of that I have an andy-pandy suit, quilted one-piece. Again intended to keep you warm(alive) in a wind (70mph).

Only problem is the length. Tends to be long for sitting on the bike.

I have a pair of Aigle gortex boots, these are expensive but boy do they keep your feet warm as toast, no need foe thick socks. I tend to use a couple of thin layers and then one of those fleece lined lumberjack shirts with a good army jacket over the top if required. A good hat is a must, especially if your a bit thin on top like me :)

Yes, Moon Boots beat all. The trouble with cramming on the multiple socks is that you exclude air and restrict circulation. If going down this road buy a bigger pair of socks to put over the smaller and bigger boots too. Otherwise it's counter productive.

Olly

I use from top to bottom;

Wooly scarf to tie on my head, round my neck, wherever I need it most.

Thermal vest, light t-shirt, light jumper, Berghaus fleece, Berghaus windproof jacket.

Thermal gloves.

Leggings or wooly tights under a pair of jeans.

Two pairs of thin socks and Berghaus Gortex boots.

The boots are the business - they weren't cheap but they never give blisters when walking and my feet are like toast even with one pair of socks even when sloshing through mud and water.

Despite all this I was STILL cold when I was out late in the snow.

I must admit, after quite a few seriously cold nights over the years I'm coming around to the big, thick and baggy approach rather than the lots of layers approach. I struggle to find clothes big enough to be baggy on me though but I suspect in a year or two more there will be lots of XXXXXL clothes around.

Once I started imaging and was basically stationery for hours lots of layers just haven't cut it.

James

Actually, thick and baggy is a good way to go for astronomy, as long as it doesn't make you sweat even when you're standing still. I usually wear a parka over my street clothes, as well as a neck tube and a hat, and pull the hood up if my fingers and toes get cold.

Archived