SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

celestron auto focuser

I need some help please. I have a celestron 9.25 on a NEQ6 mount and I control it by SGP through a laptop . Now I want to start using the scope to image the moon but the issue is the focuser. If I use sharpcap I can not control the focuser to get focus unless I use sgp on the laptop. I have an evolution mount an I am told I can use the hand set to control the focuser. If the focuser is powered and I plug in the handset it does not power on? so just how are you supposed to use the focuser with the handset if you do not have a celestron mount. I do not want to use the evolution as it only made for 8" scopes.

Edited by jaygpoo

46 minutes ago, jaygpoo said:

I need some help please. I have a celestron 9.25 on a NEQ6 mount and I control it by SGP through a laptop . Now I want to start using the scope to image the moon but the issue is the focuser. If I use sharpcap I can not control the focuser to get focus unless I use sgp on the laptop. I have an evolution mount an I am told I can use the hand set to control the focuser. If the focuser is powered and I plug in the handset it does not power on? so just how are you supposed to use the focuser with the handset if you do not have a celestron mount. I do not want to use the evolution as it only made for 8" scopes.

You can power (and control) your focuser by connecting it to a USB port on your laptop - just make sure it provides enough power. Alternatively it will also take a 12v power source (although you will still need the USB connection to operate the focuser).

Thank you for your reply but I still dont understand how the celestron hand set can control the focuser. It has a focuser section . Are you saying that without the usb connected to something the unit will not operate. So I have the laptop on and SGP open. The focuser is selected and I can control the focuser but its almost impossible to look in the eye piece and contol the focuser on the laptop at the same time. Hence the reason I want to use the handset. 

50 minutes ago, jaygpoo said:

Thank you for your reply but I still dont understand how the celestron hand set can control the focuser. It has a focuser section . Are you saying that without the usb connected to something the unit will not operate. So I have the laptop on and SGP open. The focuser is selected and I can control the focuser but its almost impossible to look in the eye piece and contol the focuser on the laptop at the same time. Hence the reason I want to use the handset. 

Sorry, I misunderstood your original question. You can't control the focuser with the handset unless you are using a Celestron mount - the focuser connects to the aux port on the Celestron mount and the handset operates the focuser via the mount. 

If you want to use it with your NEQ6 you are going to have to use your laptop. I control my AVX with the laptop rather than hand controller. I use CPWI and that allows me to use an XBOX game controller to control the mount - including the focuser. Possibly you could do something similar with sharpcap?

You can control the focuser with the Celestron handset if you are using the Evolution, but you will need to use a laptop for the NEQ6

Edited by Shimrod