Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Moon Against Your Telescope(s)

LDW1

As a pure point of interest how many don't even bother to get their scopes out when the moon is big and bright between say just after the first quarter and just after the third quarter ?  I am not a moon viewer, my scopes stay on idle during that time and I stick with solar seeing. I can't be the only one ? And for those that love the moon it shouldn't be an issue because they are in their environment !

• Like 2

Until very recently, for 4-5 years I was exactly the same. But I’ve lately got a medium-sized refractor and now positively look forward to all moon phases except around Full. I have no excuse: I have had long focal-length Maks for all that time and I really should have become a Lunatic much earlier. Better late than never though, I strongly encourage you to follow suit 😁.

• Like 7

I avoided the Moon for twenty years, partly because my interest was in comets and all things fuzzy, and partly because its scarily complex. However that changed once I found a purpose in observing it. It is after all the most awesome alien world we can see and its right on our doorstep. Even when full, there is so much still to see with its intricate ray systems and tonal differences in its lava planes, and theres even colour on the moon. I can spend hours tracing rilles, ghost craters hidden beneath the surface, and carefully examining the floors of craters and ringed planes. I never fail to see something new. You should definitely bite the bullet and start observing the Moon. You may even grow to love it!

• Like 4

Believe me I have the right scopes, several variable polarizing filters, both 1.25" / 2", the yellow filters and the odd time when I do swing that way I lose interest after a minute or so. I even took some afternoon pics with my 4se but it isn't my long session thing. I haven't looked at it for a long, long time.

2A00BABE-8EE1-4B73-A919-7C07D2EE4DAA.thumb.jpeg.932d7cea1a9af7c0247e9874e25f7816.jpeg

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 1

Before when I had my newtonian I only had a passing interest in the moon and other planets as details seemed a bit soft and not as good as I expected, but I just bought a SCT and have a renewed interest in observing the Moon and the Planets as everything is so much more sharp and defined. I do need a Moon filter though as it’s almost like having a flashlight shining in your face which is why I always save lunar observation for the end of my night.27EA0916-6720-4817-ABFC-2BE00EE97232.thumb.jpeg.c1aadf62404e86ccd7f55d91649a88ea.jpegEE69336F-60E6-4387-BE5A-2D8FC07D9285.thumb.jpeg.0bdfdc3f6fbd05e041931ef0fceb8da2.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a preference for dso's but in practice I will observe anything/everything, daytime, twilight, light polluted, dark sky, full moon or no moon. There's a lot to be seen by being a generalist. If I ruled certain things out then combining that constraint with work, weather, etc then doing any observing at all would be much more of a rarity.

• Like 4

Finding something of interest is the key. I love rilles and can spend much of the night tracing them across the lunar terrain. Crater floors are often overshadowed by their spectacular terracing, and so studying crater floors has become a pleasant pass-time also. I love to draw what I'm observing no matter what it is as I believe it helps me to notice less obvious detail.  I've even held my phone camera against the eyepiece to snap the occasional pic through my 100mm refractor, but I've no imaging equipment, not even a phone holder, so find it a bit of a struggle. Give me a pencil and a sketch pad and I'm as happy as can be.

2023-04-1013_30_01.thumb.jpg.74dfab54bf7f2e16016077a215797538.jpg

2023-02-1212_10_35.jpg.ddb1c66b3ca20187d2df188fd84ba497.jpg

2023-02-1212_17_42.png.563c2b466b93db369f61f021ddc36ab8.png

IMG_20230328_111722.thumb.jpg.825d3fae3d3ea437525484910edb7de1.jpg

2023-02-0511_35_00.thumb.jpg.fa3e667561d79dd7dd581e42fc73d41c.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 7

Solar white light observing gets boring very quickly, so to get the most from solar observation one needs to spend a mint. To observe the moon in great detail all one needs is a relatively cheap small telescope, a couple of inexpensive plossl eyepieces and a map.

Also living on the outskirts of a light polluted city, the moon is one object that never disappoints. The more one observes our nearest neighbour, the more the intricate detail of the lunar landscape is revealed. So although the moon is a nuisance when near to, or full, just about any other time I find it's worth a look.

During the brighter summer months lunar observing and photography keeps the hobby alive for me too.

• Like 4

I found following the Lunar 100 list really increased my interest. Trying to spot something based on photos/descriptions becomes a challenge. For my observing in general, I’m much more engaged when I have some sort of goal. Through the Lunar 100, which I’m yet to complete, I’ve seen a lot of features that I would otherwise have completely missed. DSO’s are my first love but when I have focused on the Moon, I’ve always enjoyed myself :) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Paz said:

I have a preference for dso's but in practice I will observe anything/everything, daytime, twilight, light polluted, dark sky, full moon or no moon. There's a lot to be seen by being a generalist. If I ruled certain things out then combining that constraint with work, weather, etc then doing any observing at all would be much more of a rarity.

When you are long retired you have the luxury of picking and choosing, IF you want !

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

When you are long retired you have the luxury of picking and choosing, IF you want !

That will be good if I ever make it to retirement! I have always thought there are two criteria for enjoying this hobby properly. One is retire. The other is leave this country (the uk)!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...

99% of the time i avoid the moon like the plague.  Especially when it is bright, but every once in a while, when its floating around half i will spend a bit of time watch the moon.