SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Televue Nagler 3 - 6 mm zoom eyepiece owners.

9 hours ago, johnturley said:

Although it states 50 degree APFOV on the Vixen SLV, I find it to be nearer to 45 degrees.

The original Vixen LVs from 7mm on down were all 45 degrees.  I can't remember if they changed the claim to 50 degrees with the NLV or SLV line, but the actual optical design didn't seem to actually change, just the claims.

52 minutes ago, Louis D said:

The original Vixen LVs from 7mm on down were all 45 degrees.  I can't remember if they changed the claim to 50 degrees with the NLV or SLV line, but the actual optical design didn't seem to actually change, just the claims.

It actually states 50 degrees on the barrel.

IMG_5466.JPG

• Like 1

I seem to recall Vixen being a little confused over the AFoV of their 42mm LVW with some of them having 72 degrees screen printed on them and others (most) 65 degrees. I think they did it deliberately to fuel astro forum discussions ! 😁

25 minutes ago, johnturley said:

IMG_5466.JPG

Printed on the eyepieces by people who don't read English.

Vixen's Japanese specs state the 2.5mm, 4mm, 5mm, and 6mm SLV eyepieces have 45° fields, while the longer focal lengths are 50°.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, johnturley said:

Simply a case of saying it's so doesn't necessarily make it so.

My Baader Scopos Extreme 35mm says 70 degrees on the barrel, but it actually has a measured 66 degree AFOV and a 68 degree eAFOV.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought the 3-6mm back in 2012 to fit a specific brief. I was travelling abroad to dark sites with a scope and limited weight and space allowance and the zoom allowed me to cover multiple focal lengths in a single small EP. It fit the brief perfectly and I was so impressed it I bought the 2-4mm Zoom to pair with my two small Taks. Now I use the zoom almost as much at home as I do when I travel.

Wrote a review of the zoom back in 2020 which echos a lot of what has already been written in this thread.

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2020/05/16/tele-vue-nagler-zoom-eyepiece-review/

• Like 4

22 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

I bought the 3-6mm back in 2012 to fit a specific brief. I was travelling abroad to dark sites with a scope and limited weight and space allowance and the zoom allowed me to cover multiple focal lengths in a single small EP. It fit the brief perfectly and I was so impressed it I bought the 2-4mm Zoom to pair with my two small Taks. Now I use the zoom almost as much at home as I do when I travel.

Wrote a review of the zoom back in 2020 which echos a lot of what has already been written in this thread.

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2020/05/16/tele-vue-nagler-zoom-eyepiece-review/

👍

I'm in the NZ camp too- wont ever be without one, even owning other zooms.

• Like 3