SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Galaxies with modded dslr

Hi all, I'm thinking about getting my canon 650d modded.

I really like nebula photos and love what the mod does to the images, I'm planning of getting a full frame 6d soon but what I wonder is if I should get mine modded after galaxy season? I want to mod it but if I get it done now will i then have to miss out on the galaxy shots.

In a nut shell my question is can you take decent galaxy photos with a modded canon?

Thanks for your help in advance guys.

Any advice is welcome :)

Thinking about it, I don't think a mod will help with galaxies (or very little at least), as a first stage mod removes the IR filter making the sensor exposed to more IR wavelength light like the ha spectrum, a galaxy is broadband colour so doing a mod I think will make little difference other than maybe picking up a bit more of the red ha regions. For an emission nebula, that's different. A full mod also removes the UV filter but that isn't really useful for AP.

Edited by Elp

6 minutes ago, Elp said:

Thinking about it, I don't think a mod will help with galaxies (or very little at least), as a first stage mod removes the IR filter making the sensor exposed to more IR wavelength light like the ha spectrum, a galaxy is broadband colour so doing a mod I think will make little difference other than maybe picking up a bit more of the red ha regions. For an emission nebula, that's different. A full mod also removes the UV filter but that isn't really useful for AP.

OK thanks for the reply, I knew there wouldn't be any real bonuses to galaxy imaging but what I am worried about is negative effects it will have. Would modding it negatively impact galaxy shooting do you think?

Not really, the camera will have a custom white balance applied so the images will be slightly redder in tone, the lack of IR filtering will also bloat the received light a little (eg bloated stars). You can always change the white balance to whatever profile you want. I still use mine occasionally for daytime, doesn't really matter, if I like the photo I'll just edit the colour balance afterward.

White balance is an operation applied only to JPEGs. If you're shooting raw data (as you should), the only white balance applied is a notation in the metadata to provide a hint to processing software.

1.  The Ha mod leaves the IR filter in place, so no need to add another IR filter.

2. A Full Spectrum mod removes both filters, useful if you always use additional light pollution or other narrow-band filters.

3. White Balance setting is in the Raw .CR2 metadata, and most image software gives you the choice to apply it or not when loading.

Michael

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I use both modded and unmodded, and I haven’t noticed any difference. Only with the modified that you get some of the Ha in galaxies if it’s there. I think it depends on the camera and the mod, since my modded camera still retains most of the IR blocking from the description of where I bought it from: http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/filters.htm - assume this would be pretty universal mind. 

This one I posted recently was with a modded DSLR; https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/409905-m63-sunflower-galaxy/

As I said in that topic, the biggest difference seems to be stacking differences between Siril and Astap, something I intend to investigate. I’ve tried M51 with the same camera a few nights this week, with no astrodark and only a few hours of “darkness” per night, and the stack from Astap produces a lot of colour and blues in the galaxy (but also some satellite trials). I haven’t tried it in Siril yet for its colour, but I will be trying but I never get satellite trails with it.