Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Laser Collimator

I think I need to collimate my telescope. It’s been transported quite a few times and I think the knocking has likely knocked the mirrors. What’s the best budget laser Collimator that you’d recommend? I’ve seen people mention that the collimating tool can be out of line too, any input would be amazing right now. Thanks. 

The best low cost decent quality laser collimator I found to be the Astro Essentials one from First Light Optics(FLO). The one I bought was already collimated and it is also fully able to be collimated. I now use the Hotech model along with a cap and Cheshire. Once collimated correctly I just check with the laser before each observing session.

• 1 month later...
On 26/03/2023 at 06:32, Ratlet said:

I use one of the cheapy lasers from Amazon.  They have the adjustment holes filled in with silicone, but easily removed for calibrating at home.  

Can I send mine to you then been trying for months do mine gave up and bought a concentre

I recommend a concentre for the secondary and a (collimated) laser for the primary.

A lot of people recommend a Cheshire but they are next to useless for a large Newtonian. Try adjusting the collimation knobs and look through the Cheshire at the same time... unless you are Reed Richards of course :tongue2: Oh, and do it in the dark.

Laser makes it a doddle - takes a few seconds to check mine before each session. My 12" is razor sharp at x461 (3.3mm eyepiece) in good conditions which demonstrates perfect collimation (and good optics).

• Like 1