Canon 450D or 1000D???

Andrew*

Another "what camera thread" from me...

Which should I go for between these two? I know what the differences are:

- 12mp over 10mp

- 14 bit over 12 bit

- 3" over 2.5"

All in favour of the 450D, but is this worth the 100 quid price increase?

Andrew

Andrew, I bought my Canon 1000D Body onlyfrom Amazon. I paid £316 for it. The main reason the Canon range is popular, is that they lend themselves well to modifying for AP.

I paid another £56 to buy the Baader filter that will allow me to image Ha regions, but still let the camera operate normally.

I am assuming that you are considering AP too, so if you intend modification, either DIY, or paying Astronomiser, or someone else to do it, then the price rises accordingly. There are other ways to do the filter mod; but if you want the camera to stay functional to do both disciplines, then It costs more.

I've prattled on a bit here, and you probably knew everything without me telling you.:)

Ron.

Andrew,

The main difference is the 12bit - 14bit, though there was an article posted last week in one of the lengthy DSLR discussions that basically said that the camera doesn't really make use of the extra bits (that's how I read it anyway - best to read for yourself though) The LCD screen size is only important if you don't have the camera hooked up to a computer. The number of pixels is another consideration.

There's a weight difference between the two as well with the 1000D being the lighter of the two. I think if you're going to do only astro then there are some very good deals for a 1000D body only and for me, IMHO, the extra cost of 450D wasn't really worth it (though for me the DSLSR is only a place holder until I can afford QHY8 or similar). If you're going to do astro and normal photography then the 450D would be the better camera.:)

Sam

Andrew, I can't comment on the 1000d, although I may well get one for modding at some point. The 450d is a great camera for both astro and normal photography, but as you already have the Sony A300 I'd probably go for the 1000d in body only.

Ron & Sam have basically said all I was going to say, I have the 1000D which I modified myself and am very happy with it.

Budget will dictate which one to get, either way they are both very good DSLR's.

Thanks for the responses chaps. I'm still trying to work this out.

I intend to remove the filter, not replace, and hence I can only use it for astrophotography. I would get astronomiser to do this.

The 1000D I can get for less than £300, but the 450D comes out at more than £400. I am trying to work out whether 2 bits and 0.5" of LCD is worth a 35% increase in price.

And if the two extra bits are not even fully utilised... Well, that would certainly come into the equation. Sam - I'd appreciate a link to the discussion.

The pixels thing I am not too bothered about actually. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have the understanding that for astrophotography, having less, larger pixels is better than more, smaller ones - at least when you're talking about over 10 million of them...

I guess it's about weighing it all up....

Or flipping a coin...

Andrew

Woohooo! I'm the proud owner of a brand new (refurb) 450D!!:)

£420 with lens from the Canon eBay outlet. It's going directly to Astronomiser for filter replacement and then on to me.:)

Apparently it won't focus at infinity with filter removed, so I am going for a replacement instead. With any luck I may be able to bring it to SGL4.

Andrew

Nice one...

It wouldnt focus at infinity with camera lenses would have been fine on the scopes but probably better going with the repalcement filter... so that I can use it for widefield stuff with lenses...

I have one with (1000D) and one without (350D) ...

Peter...

Nice one...

It wouldnt focus at infinity with camera lenses...

I'm sure that's what I said when asked...

Also, I've noticed that the re-sale value drops significantly when the camera has the filter removed only. This isn't always an issue, but I think it should be considered.

The other question of the 1000D vs the 450D is a bit more difficult, but from my own personal opinion, as someone who for a brief while had both, I'd recommend the 450D. I found the images to be - in practice - a little better and the build quality of the camera is better as well. Not much in it tbh, and I have changed my mind a couple of times, but I do think the 450 is worth the extra.

Andy

I'm sure that's what I said when asked...

It wouldnt focus at infinity with camera lenses would have been fine on the scopes but probably better going with the repalcement filter... so that I can use it for widefield stuff with lenses...

Yeah, that's what I meant - just missed out "with lenses":icon_confused:

Andrew

I would like to know what replacement filter I would need in order to use EF lenses. I'm not at all bothered about terrestrial land photos but want infinity focus possible?

Can anyone point me to dealers who can supply the parts?

Speak to Bern at Modern Astronomy... although other astro dealers are also available...

Peter

Got me cls clip from him. How much difference does the mod make? Do you still use the clip filter after the mod?

Do you do the mod for beer tokens? :)

Curiosity will of course have myself hacking the 10D but nice another story

Guy

Yes still use the CLS post mod....

The mod makes a tremendous differnece on the right targets... any of those lovely HA rich Nebs... About 5 times more sensitive than an um-modded camera...

I only mod my own cams sorry... if you download and print out one of the excellent guides then is usually pretty straightforward.. provided you work through it methodically... I like Gary Honis mod schemes... I used his for my 350D and my 1000D

There are companies who offer Guaranteed mods for beer tokens... I have noticed that Andy Ellis from Astronomiser has started posting on here. He's one of the better modders :)

Peter...

Archived