Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Right to Dark Law

DogStar42

5 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Signed. In theory we should easily be able to reach the target with just people on the forum - not sure how to get that level of engagement/ promotion though. 

I would imagine that it would not be too big a task to copy and paste a thread onto every single forum, at least it would be seen by the maximum number of members.

3 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Signed. In theory we should easily be able to reach the target with just people on the forum - not sure how to get that level of engagement/ promotion though. 

Light pollution disturbs the ecological balance, and harms natural habitats/our wildlife. I think this is important as IME many people care about our wildlife - more so than about the stray light itself.

I'm sure millions would sign, but how to get through to them??

20 minutes ago, Leo S said:

Light pollution disturbs the ecological balance, and harms natural habitats/our wildlife. I think this is important as IME many people care about our wildlife - more so than about the stray light itself.

I'm sure millions would sign, but how to get through to them??

I used to give a talk on LP, on behalf of the CfDS, to EHOs, who were, at the time (mid-2000s), responsible for dealing with breaches of new ‘Light as a Statutory Nuisance’ legislation.

It included effects on migratory birds, increased activity of predatory insect species at night, road traffic accidents cause by poor lighting, but the statistics that gained the most interest, by a country mile, were all related to CO2 emission. I was surprised at the numbers involved myself, since this was before they were commonly-quoted in the media. For example, I saw an article on the BBC yesterday relating kg Of CO2 saved per person by taking a train from Scandinavia vs flying.

Edited by Richard
Typos
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

I would imagine that it would not be too big a task to copy and paste a thread onto every single forum, at least it would be seen by the maximum number of members.

Just added a link to my FB profile - not sure that my few friends will make much difference though :(

Aren't there laws that prevent other people's lights etc affecting your enjoyment of your property? I also read that people don't have a right to light up their garden?

Anyways, had a recent neighbor install a flood light outside their front and it lights up my room at night , it's ridiculous. I went over and asked him to tilt it or stick a hood in because I'm not sleeping, they sorted it out.

My immediate neighbor , lovely bloke but my god he is obsessed with outdoor lighting. I've had to tell him to lower them or hood them because it lights up my entire house and garden..luckily the garden is pitch black after midnight which is usually when I get started anyway.

I've planted lots of lleylandi trees , hopefully in a few years I'll have a complete wall if trees giving me protection.

Cheap lighting is definitely getting out of hand. One guy down the road has RGB lighting on his drive way, it's getting ridiculous.

Really makes me want to move to the ass end of no where.

• Like 2

Signed!

I was very disappointed a few months ago, when the fire station on the street below me finished its renovations. While the building is far better for the fire service and looks nicer as well: The builders have installed the outdoor lights neigh on pointing upwards!

There's one floodlight that is so bright and poorly angled, that I (50 meters away at least) could use its light to read by in my kitchen when it's on. Ludicrous!

It literally lights up the side of the house, not nice...

• Sad 1

32 minutes ago, nitram100 said:

Aren't there laws that prevent other people's lights etc affecting your enjoyment of your property?

I think there are laws (with loopholes) that bssically let you you have a fight with your neighbor. I want a law that prevents the companies from selling or installing problem lighting.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Ags said:

I think there are laws (with loopholes) that bssically let you you have a fight with your neighbor. I want a law that prevents the companies from selling or installing problem lighting.

Now that's a law I could get behind haha. 5 round mma fight bare knuckle , winner chooses the lighting situation haha

As Richard ( above ) said Light overspill is considered a "statutory nuisance" Light is included in with other forms of pollution such as smells, smoke, rubbish, animals etc that can be considered a nuisance in the legislation:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/43/part/III/crossheading/statutory-nuisances-england-and-wales

You can use this to get your local council to take action.

Nigel

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hello Folks. Thank you all for helping to get this going. I will attempt to spread the word in other ways in the coming weeks. I do look at this as being similar to the 'ban smoking in the workplace' law that came in years ago. It was only weeks after that the hospitality workers complained that THEIR workplace was not covered, and should be. Pubs, restaurants, cafes etc. Getting a law that recognises our RIGHT to have a natural dark environment could just be the 'IN' that is needed to get light pollution more widely recognised. Please, keep spreading the word. And for those that may have suggested certain 'DIY' solutions, they have all been suggested and dismissed. I think the local Housing Association would point the Police in my direction without delay. And I don't just want to tackle one light, but ALL the intrusive lights out there. There is just no need for so much artificial light. Cheers

• Like 2

I am about to sign. Bright LED security & street lights offer no extra security. They just light the way for scrotes.

For example I had a wing mirror cover stolen during the early hours of last week despite the cul de sac being lit up like daylight almost. 🙄

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet