SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Clear Outside Update - March 2023

As some of you know, one of the data providers we use for Clear Outside is closing at the end of March following their purchase by Apple.

As a result, we have found a new data provider which we think will give improved forecasts and also over time some additional data fields which we will be making use of.

The main Clear Outside website will change over next week to this new provider but, if you would like to test and have a sneak peak you can try it out at: https://beta.clearoutside.com/

Functionally, it should be pretty much the same it's just the data provider we have changed. If you turn on the 'Experimental Features' using the button on the bottom right it will display some additional forecast fields - we now have three separate cloud forecasts from independent forecasts that can be seen including two that provide forecasts at different heights.

Once we have moved over to the new data provider our next steps will be updating our mobile apps and adding in some much requested functionality like the ability to change the displayed unit of measure (fahrenheit is coming!). We also hope to provide a way for people to visualise multiple forecasts at once - if you are anything like me, I tend to look at multiple forecasts and if 2-3 of them concur it gives me a greater confidence in the forecast.

Thanks,

Grant

• Like 15
  • Thanks 6

1 minute ago, jacko61 said:

I can't get the location to move away from Flo headquarters in Devon.  Good to see your forecast is as bad as mine though :)

Graeme

Check your address bar - each forecast location has a unique URL, if you have book marked the FLO HQ forecast location then even if you have set somewhere else to be your 'Default Location' it won't matter if you are going to a specific location URL. You would need to go to the home URL of https://beta.clearoutside.com/ for the default location part to work.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Grant_FLO said:

Check your address bar - each forecast location has a unique URL, if you have book marked the FLO HQ forecast location then even if you have set somewhere else to be your 'Default Location' it won't matter if you are going to a specific location URL. You would need to go to the home URL of https://beta.clearoutside.com/ for the default location part to work.

Had to enter the lat/long to get it to find the address.  on the old version, just entering the postcode brings up the right location. 

Graeme

1 minute ago, jacko61 said:

Had to enter the lat/long to get it to find the address.  on the old version, just entering the postcode brings up the right location. 

Graeme

Post code / location searching should still be working - you may need to give it a second when typing to give it chance to lookup the postcodes and give you a suggested list in a drop down. If that's not working for you, please PM me the post code you are trying to use and perhaps the browser / device you are using so I can take a look - thank you.

2 hours ago, Grant_FLO said:

Post code / location searching should still be working - you may need to give it a second when typing to give it chance to lookup the postcodes and give you a suggested list in a drop down. If that's not working for you, please PM me the post code you are trying to use and perhaps the browser / device you are using so I can take a look - thank you.

The drop down works fine on my home Dell laptop. Win 10.  It wasn't dropping down on my work Surface pro also win 10.  both on microsoft Edge.  However, Many things get blocked by our work security protocols although it works fine on the old clear outside platform.

Graeme

What's happened to CO?

On my desktop I get a repeating "checking if connection is secure" and "connection is secure, proceeding" but just goes round and round.

On my Android APP I cannot get CO to go to any location other than Exeter, even when I put in my location and tell it that it's my Home.

Deleted the Android app on my phone :( 

As the old data provider has been having some more issues this morning we have decided to go live with the new data provider today - the beta site has been turned off but regular clear outside should now be running as usual but with the new data provider.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Well that's annoying. The old version was showing me a lovely clear night on sunday. Now it's back to cloudy :(  Mind you, the BBC say it's going to be clear all night. I guess I'll revert to my 'look out of the window' method. 

Graeme

Edited by jacko61
  • Like 1

On 24/03/2023 at 09:43, Grant_FLO said:

As the old data provider has been having some more issues this morning we have decided to go live with the new data provider today - the beta site has been turned off but regular clear outside should now be running as usual but with the new data provider.

Good morning, Am not sure if this is a glitch, or user error, but the forecast for today and tonight differs greatly depending on whether I choose midday or midnight as the options!

Screengrabs attached, but when "centered on midday" I get a forecast of clear skies from 18:00 to 23:00hrs, but when centered on midnight, the green for the same timeframe changes to red!

Thank you,

Chris

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 10.24.35.png

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 10.24.49.png

The blue outline around the boxes and the little clock symbol in the 'hour' box show the 'current hour' - if you line that up between the two forecasts you will see they are identical.

This is because when center on midnight is used in order to show this mornings forecast it must also show the last 12 hours of yesterday.

This often causes confusion so will likely change in the future to only show 'tonight' when centre on Midnight is used rather than try to display this mornings forecast.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Grant_FLO said:

The blue outline around the boxes and the little clock symbol in the 'hour' box show the 'current hour' - if you line that up between the two forecasts you will see they are identical.

This is because when center on midnight is used in order to show this mornings forecast it must also show the last 12 hours of yesterday.

This often causes confusion so will likely change in the future to only show 'tonight' when centre on Midnight is used rather than try to display this mornings forecast.

Ah, thank you,  user error then!

Cheers,

Chris