Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Starfield 102 ED F/7

I bought one last Summer. It is a great refractor,easy to mount and handle. The darker the sky the better. So you will benefit from being able to transport it easily.

Mine mounted on an AZ4 with a ten inch height extension.

Have you ordered it yet🙃

20221119_214636.jpg

Edited by Grump Martian
Correct picture added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just had a solar session with the Starfield and the Tak with a 7mm eyepiece, so only x102 and x106 respectively. At that magnification I can't really see a difference between the two. The Starfield focuser is much better and easier to use though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cajen2 said:

I could just keep the twist lock for 2" and the Baader for 1.25", no?

Yes, that’s what I am doing with this Starfield. Cheaper as well. I am just going to swap it between the Starfield and my dobsonian.

The only problem is that when using a 2” diagonal you have to repeatedly loosen the Axil lock to adjust the diagonal. This only applies to when you are using an EQ mount. With an alt/az mount no such problem.

• Thanks 1

The native twist lock on the starfield focuser is a bit of a pain as it’s very stiff to begin with. On mine I removed some of the grease from inside and afterwards ran it back and forth repeatedly and this freed it up to the point it’s now easy to use. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

The native twist lock on the starfield focuser is a bit of a pain as it’s very stiff to begin with. On mine I removed some of the grease from inside and afterwards ran it back and forth repeatedly and this freed it up to the point it’s now easy to use. 

I’m going to do this to mine tomorrow. Is it straightforward to disassemble and re-grease? I haven’t looked at it closely.

Edited by bosun21
Typo

42 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I’m going to do this to mine tomorrow. Is it straightforward to disassemble and re-grease? I haven’t looked at it closely.

It was tricky due to the tiny screws, iirc I took off the front blanking plate (eyepiece side) which allowed me to pull the knurled ring out a little bit to get at the grease underneath it. I just used a bit of tissue twisted to a point and didn’t remove much. I’m not sure if it was this, or just working the ring back and forth rapidly for a few mins, which actually loosened it up… might be worth just trying that first before tackling those tiny screws. 

• Thanks 1

FLO has just 8 of these out of the original 50 they stocked. Altair have been out of stock for nearly a year now. The Technosky version is now 12 quid under 1K. 899 is ridiculously cheap for a scope of this calibre. I can’t imagine how much longer they will remain at this price. I notice SW have just put their prices up again.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2023 at 19:56, Mr Spock said:

I've never heard of anyone being critical of the Starfield - it really is that good! My only gripe was the twist lock clamp which I replaced with a Baader.

I really like my 102mm f7 (the altair version) but I really dont like twist locks. I replaced the 1.25" collar with other types with screws/compression rings or I just use T2 connections.

The real problem is the 2" twist lock that I assume can't be replaced. If that could be replaced I would use my 2" set ups more often.

...but all of the above is really about not liking twist locks rather than the scope, my 102mm f7 is my most used scope by far, the relationship between the quality of the views, cost, ease of use, and flexibility is the best Ive come across so far.

I use a 2 inch diagonal so the 1.25 adapter is not something I used really. I pop in a descent after I have finished, the scope doesn’t go in the case with the 1.25 adapter and descant on at the same time.

I use a push fit Baader in 2inch to 1.25 for use with a Hershel Wedge, but nothing more. Quiet frankly if that’s the weakest point on the scope that is pretty good, especially considering the poor focusers on some high end brands 

• Like 1

Well, I've taken the plunge and bought the Starfield from a certain well-known member on here.....😉

AZ GTix mount, WO 2" diagonal, 6x30 RA finder, carry bag and Berlebach tripod ordered and all but the tripod should arrive today or tomorrow. So I'll have to wait a couple of weeks for my first light! 😥

• Like 6

On 23/03/2023 at 13:56, Grump Martian said:

I bought one last Summer. It is a great refractor,easy to mount and handle. The darker the sky the better. So you will benefit from being able to transport it easily.

Mine mounted on an AZ4 with a ten inch height extension.

Have you ordered it yet🙃

20221119_214636.jpg

How is the stability of that scope on that setup ?
Do you need the extension pillar ?

Is it stable at high powers (>150) on the planets ?

32 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

How is the stability of that scope on that setup ?
Do you need the extension pillar ?

Is it stable at high powers (>150) on the planets ?

I use an EQ5 tripod. An AZ4 or modified Berlebach Castor mount and hight extension. It is very stable at higher magnifications. The height extension works for me being six foot. You would increase the stability by pushing the lower tripod leg sections in. If you are near Hertfordshire you would be welcome to take a look.

20220827_202533.jpg

• Like 6

As some of you may have seen on the "Postman" thread, my scope (thanks @Mr Spock), mount and sundry accessories arrived today.....

For anyone wanting to store or transport a Starfield, the Oklop bag for an EQ6 tripod fits it well, with a slight gap. I had an inspiration: I have a small spare padded shoulder bag. I put my 6x30 finder and 2" diagonal in separate compartments, folded it and slotted it into the gap in the Oklop. Perfect fit and no chance of the scope sliding around.

IMG_20230331_160835_2.thumb.jpg.4639ddc815b827b6de89e2962d316d9c.jpg

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 2

I prefer the larger Oklop bag for the 1000mm focal length. The extra length allows me to fit my dew heater bands and controller snugly inside. I also line the interior of the bag with bubble wrap. This stops the scope from sliding. The sliding is what causes the finish to wear off like what happened to @cajen2’s 8” dobsonian (I reckon?)

I have the same version FPL53 102 F7 from TS, with M68 focuser of 2.5"

There is a Baader M63 to M68 adapter, which allows to buy directly the M68 Baader ClickLock mirror diagonal. I find it more solid than using intermediary Clicklock, with no fear that something is not lock down well. Here I am using screwing methods only 😀

One more point, by removing the standard M68 (or 63) to 2" adapter, you gain some cm very helpful for binoviewer, aside the bothering standard twistlock. With M68 to T2 adapter, you don't need any GPC for binoviewer, at least with TS refractor. This configuration + some M68 spacers to get it screwed in the right position (focuser parallel with the ground for normal function) will work on the other hand with Alt-Az mounts only...

These thousands of adapters, mostly the Baader one, are probably the eight wonders of the world :)))))

20230401_120918.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I prefer the larger Oklop bag for the 1000mm focal length. The extra length allows me to fit my dew heater bands and controller snugly inside. I also line the interior of the bag with bubble wrap. This stops the scope from sliding. The sliding is what causes the finish to wear off like what happened to @cajen2’s 8” dobsonian (I reckon?)

I have the same Oklop for my 120/600 achro, very nice and useful 

For the 102 F7 I bought the TS bag, keeping the original protection foam of the telescope

20230401_122052.jpg

1 hour ago, Marian M said:

I have the same version FPL53 102 F7 from TS, with M68 focuser of 2.5"

There is a Baader M63 to M68 adapter, which allows to buy directly the M68 Baader ClickLock mirror diagonal. I find it more solid than using intermediary Clicklock, with no fear that something is not lock down well. Here I am using screwing methods only 😀

One more point, by removing the standard M68 (or 63) to 2" adapter, you gain some cm very helpful for binoviewer, aside the bothering standard twistlock. With M68 to T2 adapter, you don't need any GPC for binoviewer, at least with TS refractor. This configuration + some M68 spacers to get it screwed in the right position (focuser parallel with the ground for normal function) will work on the other hand with Alt-Az mounts only...

These thousands of adapters, mostly the Baader one, are probably the eight wonders of the world :)))))

20230401_120918.jpg

This is no good for an EQ mount as the angle of the eyepiece is constantly changing depending on where your target is in the sky. Hence the clicklock.

• 4 months later...

I'm going to resurrect this thread since it's got a catchy title.

I'm pretty much sold on getting one of these.  Having recently experience a refractor (celesteon LT80) and a bortle 3 site I'm pretty much sold on this being grab and go-able in a car.

My question is airlines (family go to the med/canaries once a year).  The scope is 67cm long, carry on is 55cm max.  Would it be possible to remove the focuser to get the scope to fit in a carry on bag, say 55x40x20cm?  It's a very sporadic use, but I doubt I'll get authorisation for a second refractor.

The alternative would be to move down slightly in size to a 90mm though I'm not sure on a scope which is comparable to the Starfield in quality for the same price (maybe holding out for a megrez 90?)

TIA

I wouldn't consider it portable, it's only around 4kg without accessories but the sheer heft of it is considerable. Here it is compared to my Z61 both in closed position:

DSC_33672.thumb.JPG.8deb1b2f73bc815fa20755492c7d64d7.JPG

Edited by Elp
  • Like 3

On 01/04/2023 at 13:24, bosun21 said:

This is no good for an EQ mount as the angle of the eyepiece is constantly changing depending on where your target is in the sky. Hence the clicklock.

Yes, this is true

This is why I much prefer the AltAz mounts 😀

• Like 1