Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Disastrous Winter!

Skipper Billy

Well, this winter on the West Coast of Scotland has been a total disaster for imaging. Just 2 clear nights since August. I hope this is a blip and not a trend !! Just 2 images gathered in 7 months. Time to take the rig to bits and put it away until August. 😞 

52737134198_fc13ff4109_o.jpg

52360383034_dbcc2c72d8_o.jpg

• Like 17

Have to agree Billy, living on the north coast of Northern Ireland I'm more or less in the same situation as you. 

Woeful weather, not just the winter either. In one whole year I've had the observatory roof open all night, twice! 

It's made worse when I see some guy in South England whinging about how bad their skies are 😡

Sometimes I do question if the hobby is worth it, living where we do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

Time to take the rig to bits and put it away until August. 😞 

No imaging in March and April? Up here, spring is usually the best season for AP.

• Like 1

Those are beautiful images.
Seems to be a growing trend for cloudy nights in the UK over the last few years. Global warming?
With so many cloudy nights, growing light pollution and ever increasing satellite activity it has made me question just how much time, effort and money it is worth investing in this hobby.

Mind you, I am a 'glass half empty' sort of bloke!

It's amazing how short the season is even here in Central Scotland, so can only imagine how bad it gets for you with literally 0 hours of astronomical darkness during the summer months!

Good looking images you have though.