Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus UV clouds (18/03/23)

Kon

I managed a quick capture of Venus in UV between passing clouds this afternoon. My the time I changed to the IR pass filter the sky was completely cloudy.  8" Dob, manual tracking, 2.5x TV powermate, Altair Astro GPCAM 290M, Astromania UV filter. Resized 125%. Despite the clouds, the seeing was fairly stable.

image.png.ec190aebe5f4234a35d04d01fddf4f95.png

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Nice job getting in between the clouds! Rained ever day here since I got a Bessel U filter 🙄

Are you planning to use the filter with a mono camera? I am seriously thinking to get a mono if it will give better images.

3 minutes ago, Kon said:

Are you planning to use the filter with a mono camera? I am seriously thinking to get a mono if it will give better images.

Yes I'll be using it with my faithful old QHY5L-ll mono (not the pink version).

I've also ordered the QHY-5-III-585C which comes with a IR850 filter so will try that on Venus also. Basically we are facing 3 months of rain 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

I've also ordered the QHY-5-III-585C which comes with a IR850 filter so will try that on Venus also. Basically we are facing 3 months of rain 😉

Looking forward to your results. I am thinking of a mono camera as well. I might start a new topic to get ideas or do it offline with some of you seasoned planetary imagers.

24 minutes ago, Kon said:

Looking forward to your results. I am thinking of a mono camera as well. I might start a new topic to get ideas or do it offline with some of you seasoned planetary imagers.

A Venus thread  would be a good idea. The planetary forum has gone rather quiet. We need to get people fired up!

• Like 1

On 19/03/2023 at 12:30, Space Cowboy said:

Seen some interesting images of Venus using a 850 filter, look forward to seeing what you manage 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Some very detail there Kon, very tricky imaging Venus and revealing anything other than the phase.

Thanks. I am looking forward to try with my new mono camera, if the clouds ever depart.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ibbo! said:

Should be interesting.

Wish I coulkd find my filters box - put somewhere safe while decorating - another reason not to do the decorating.

Or a good excuse to get a new set?😉

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Which one have you got? 🙂

Asi462mm, it was good price second hand. But I have not had clear skies for the past few weeks to do anything.

I have seen some great Venus UV and Jupiter methane images with it as well. I will report once I had the chance to try it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Asi462mm, it was good price second hand. But I have not had clear skies for the past few weeks to do anything.

I have seen some great Venus UV and Jupiter methane images with it as well. I will report once I had the chance to try it.

Excellent 👍 Weather looks naff for another week at least. Very frustrating when you get new gear. Not had a proper clear night here since mid Jan.