Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Before Orion Disappears

Gerr

I wanted to have a last chance at getting the Orion nebula before this Hunter left our skies. Opportunity presented itself two weeks ago and I just got around to processing it now.

I acquired 33 x 120secs of lights (66 mins) along with 20 x 30 secs to blend Orion's centre in.

The Zwo Asi 294mc pro (with Astronomik LP filter), HEQ5 mount and SW ED80 were utilised for this.

Stacked in DSS and processed in Photoshop CS.

M42 (and the Running Man):

CC's welcome.

OrionandRunningManNebulaWebImage.thumb.jpg.3bd968eb4793647f78097fe61c427e31.jpg 

• Like 11

Very nice! This is why  I'm considering a dedicated astrocamera myself. I'm nearing the end of my third season with a DSLR, and has to admit I've never catched details like this. The span and variations in colors are incredible. And they are genuine; this is shot with a color camera. No 'creative' editing in postprocessing, other than getting the most out of what already is there. The noise (if there was some) is evened out. Image is clean. Maybe I'd put a feathered mask over the most detailed sections, and give them a careful high-pass filter. Makes wonders, without adding noise if done correct. Other than that, perfect!

Edited by Rallemikken
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Rallemikken said:

Very nice! This is why  I'm considering a dedicated astrocamera myself. I'm nearing the end of my third season with a DSLR, and has to admit I've never catched details like this. The span and variations in colors are incredible. And they are genuine; this is shot with a color camera. No 'creative' editing in postprocessing, other than getting the most out of what already is there. The noise (if there was some) is evened out. Image is clean. Maybe I'd put a feathered mask over the most detailed sections, and give them a careful high-pass filter. Makes wonders, without adding noise if done correct. Other than that, perfect!

Yes for certain a cooled OSC dedicated camera takes you to the next level. Weather, dark skies (I’m Bortle 6) with no Moon help. Post processing is a ‘dark art’ in itself - easy to ruin good data here. You develop your own workflow over time that suits your set-up and data acquired. Always there are tweaks to this!! Many You Tube videos out there (Delta Astrophotography I really like). It’s a constantly evolving process and I am always learning!

Thanks,

Gerr.