SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A big Oiii bubble in Monoceros? more RASA data

gorann

On 19/05/2023 at 09:27, tomato said:

Yes, congratulations Goran, I also noticed it is the front picture section, usually the domain of professional images from the JWST and the like so well done indeed. 
That was quite a momentous decision when you bought that second hand RASA…

Thanks a lot and Yes Steve, I had been a bit curious about the RASA for a while. I was thrilled by the concept although I had not seen any great reviews about it. But then when someone was selling one for about half the price I thought why not give it a try. The concept had a slightly bad reputation from the Hyperstars that were reputed to be hopeless to collimate.

But guess what!  I now just bought a Hyperstar for my Edge 11", a scope I mostly have had tucked away and only used occasionally. I bought this used Hyperstar on ebay for 1/3 of the new price. It is the newest version 4, so 540 mm FL and 35 mm image circle with tighter stars than previous versions. It will for sure not be replacing my dual RASA rig, but it will be in the obsy next to it that now houses my 14" Meade ACF (which in any case rarely get enough good seeing). My hope is of course it will actually be much better than its reputation. Collimating it will be an adventure, but maybe I will manage it so stay tuned......

Edited by gorann

Good luck with your Hyperstar project, they certainly haven’t had a good press on SGL but if you can get it to work I’m sure your images will help it’s reputation no end.

• Like 1

As with any setup collimation can be an issue. I've found with my HS6 I don't need to adjust it as I can just about get away with the edges using the recommended sensor size of near 1 inch, using my 294 however you see the stars around the periphery bloat/distort more though this sensor is larger than the recommended size, still works reasonably well. Not being too fussy helps.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Elp said:

As with any setup collimation can be an issue. I've found with my HS6 I don't need to adjust it as I can just about get away with the edges using the recommended sensor size of near 1 inch, using my 294 however you see the stars around the periphery bloat/distort more though this sensor is larger than the recommended size, still works reasonably well. Not being too fussy helps.

I payed 450 GBP for the used Hyperstar so I promise not to be too fussy. And with the upcoming new version (AI 3) of Blur XT bad corner stars may be a thing of the past.....

Edited by gorann

38 minutes ago, Elp said:

With all your fast rigs sucking up the light they'll be no more photons left in the sky for others to image...

Tell me about it! It's especially noticable May through August, when Göran keeps his observatories closed. During the same period, the sky is a lot brighter here.

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Elp said:

With all your fast rigs sucking up the light they'll be no more photons left in the sky for others to image...

7 hours ago, wimvb said:

Tell me about it! It's especially noticable May through August, when Göran keeps his observatories closed. During the same period, the sky is a lot brighter here.

Sorry guys! But assuming you are correct, then if everyone on the planet got a photon sucking  RASA then climate change would be immediately fixed. Someone should tell Celestron to speed up their production and get governmental support!

• Haha 1

Congratulations Göran. 😊 Well deserved.

How do the magazines find out about the images? Do they look through astrobin and the like and ask if they can feature it, or did you submit it for possible use.

Alan

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, symmetal said:

Congratulations Göran. 😊 Well deserved.

How do the magazines find out about the images? Do they look through astrobin and the like and ask if they can feature it, or did you submit it for possible use.

Alan

Thanks a lot Alan! Once in a while I submit an image to their gallery (and they have taken it more often than not), so that is what I did also with this one. Somehow they decided in this case to use it in the front section. You find the instructions on how to submit in their gallery (just an email with an attached image).

Edited by gorann
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks a lot Alan! Once in a while I submit an image to their gallery (and they have taken it more often than not), so that is what I did also with this one. Somehow they decided in this case to use it in the front section. You find the instructions on how to submit in their gallery (just an email with an attached image).

Thanks for the information. I may be able to get one good enough to submit in the future.  :D

Alan

• Like 1