Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A big Oiii bubble in Monoceros? more RASA data

gorann

I saw the first signs of this structure when I imaged the Strottner-Drechsler 155 (https://www.astrobin.com/shed2k/), and then also in a Samyang135 widefield (https://www.astrobin.com/cjpvgx/D/).

I have now collected 5 more hours of data with the RASA rig and widened the image on what to me looks like a big (2° wide) Oiii emitting bubble associated with the Cone nebula complex. What could it be, a SNR?, or just my imagination? This is a HaOiii image as it is collected with the IDAS NBZ filter.

Dual RASA-8 rig with ASI2600MC and NBZ filter. Totally 116 x 5 min, so nearly 10 hours. Processed in PI and PS including the latest XTerminator tools.

What could it be, a SNR?, or just my imagination? This is a HaOiii image as it is collected with the IDAS NBZ filter so I assume it is emitting Oiii, but the NBZ also collects blue reflection nebulosity (like Dreyer's nebula in this image).

Comments and suggestions most welcome.

Cheers, Göran

20230311-14 Cone RASA mosaic PS11smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 28

Most interesting Göran and another great image. It seems to show when in the vicinity of the reflection nebulae implying that it is composed more of blue reflection rather than OIII emission but it could be both.

My RASA 11 with the 6200MM and fast Astronomik NB filters is all ready to go now, but the weather here has been poor for the past week or so and no sign of any improvement for the next week either. If it does clear I can try it in OIII and see what shows up. 🙂

Alan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomato said:

The Ha cloud on the right has pretty much  the same centre of curvature? There is a lot going on in the image.

My thought exactly. It is definitely a SNR candidate.

6 hours ago, symmetal said:

Most interesting Göran and another great image. It seems to show when in the vicinity of the reflection nebulae implying that it is composed more of blue reflection rather than OIII emission but it could be both.

My RASA 11 with the 6200MM and fast Astronomik NB filters is all ready to go now, but the weather here has been poor for the past week or so and no sign of any improvement for the next week either. If it does clear I can try it in OIII and see what shows up. 🙂

Alan

Thanks Alan! I have the same sky problem as you, probably for the next week. If you get a chance please aim your big light bucket at it!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomato said:

The Ha cloud on the right has pretty much  the same centre of curvature? There is a lot going on in the image.

5 minutes ago, gorann said:

Thanks Alan! I have the same sky problem as you, probably for the next week. If you get a chance please aim your big light bucket at it!

If you look at the Samyang 135 + RASA8 composite image I just finished it does indeed look like a huge Oiii shell within a humongous  Ha shell:

20230227-03011 Monoceros SY135 mosaic A PS12sign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, gorann said:

If you look at the Samyang 135 + RASA8 composite image

As tomato said, my goodness there is a lot going on. What do you make of the Ha 'broccoli-like structure' between the Cone Nebula and the Rosette?

And is that an outline of a double bubble bottom right? Trouble is, the more you look the more objects you see, 😃

Ian

Edited by The Admiral
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, The Admiral said:

As tomato said, my goodness there is a lot going on. What do you make of the Ha 'broccoli-like structure' between the Cone Nebula and the Rosette?

And is that an outline of a double bubble bottom right? Trouble is, the more you look the more objects you see, 😃

Ian

Thanks Ian! If you mean that big red round structure It is called the Monoceros supernova remnant. I attach a paper about it. The blue double bubble is SNR G206.9+2.3. I have a close up of it here with some info: https://www.astrobin.com/8wuzok/

The_Monoceros_Supernova_Remnant.pdf

• Thanks 1

UPDATE: As you see from Marcel Drechsler's comment to my Astrobin post (below) the bubble is not one but several independent objects, and part of it is indeed a filament from a SNR, called the Monogem Ring. This is a huge (25° diameter) SNR visible in X-ray but rarely detected in visual light (see https://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0511546.pdf) so this is one of very few filaments imaged visually so far. I also attach revised image where I used curves to better reveal the Monogem filaments.

Screenshot 2023-03-18 at 12.56.29.png

20230311-14 Cone RASA mosaic PS13smallSign.jpg

• Like 9

Exciting, never seen before. Maybe it's time to discover new objects in Monoceros? Found something similar too the other night next to Rosette.

Great image, I really love the closeup around the cone nebula.

Edited by alexbb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alexbb said:

Exciting, never seen before. Maybe it's time to discover new objects in Monoceros? Found something similar too the other night next to Rosette.

Great image, I really love the closeup around the cone nebula.

Thanks a lot Alex! Yes, Monoceros is well worth exploring. Unfortunately it is now getting quite close to my horizon.

• 1 month later...

Yes, congratulations Goran, I also noticed it is the front picture section, usually the domain of professional images from the JWST and the like so well done indeed. 
That was quite a momentous decision when you bought that second hand RASA…

• Thanks 1

On 19/05/2023 at 09:27, tomato said:

Yes, congratulations Goran, I also noticed it is the front picture section, usually the domain of professional images from the JWST and the like so well done indeed. 
That was quite a momentous decision when you bought that second hand RASA…

Thanks Steve! Did not know this. I thought it would be somewhere in the gallery. I am still waiting for my issue to arrive - seeing is believing😅

24 minutes ago, gorann said:

seeing is believing😅

I always believed that Seeing affects FWHM

(you know you've been doing astrophotography for too long, when the first that comes to mind is ...) 😉

• Haha 1