Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Why aren’t there more push-to smartphone & app mounts and accessories?

IB20

As far as I’m aware the Celestron Starsense seems to be the only thing that fits this bill. Strikes me as odd that versions of this aren’t everywhere? If it’s a patent issue, I’m surprised certain markets haven’t ignored these or why Celestron feel the need to flog this as a whole package rather than stand alone kit.

Well, there's a number of us that had DIY's a phone carrier or adapted the OEM one to use on other scopes. You can also use SkEye in a similar way though it doesn't plate solve so accuracy can be problematic when using the phone sensors alongside a steel tube. You'd need to come up with a phone holder and mounting method to suit the scope of course but isn't expensive to do. There's a couple threads on either on the forum.

As to whether Celestron will eventually market their system as an add-on, I think it may, eventually and there's been several voice interest. When it works it is very convenient and almost no setup time compared to a GoTo system.

• Thanks 1

It's been debated on forums a few times. I still can't understand how people assume that Celestron would make a fortune if they sold the units to fit any scope/mount. A large company like Celestron would know that far better than the average person. 

So the need is profit.

2 hours ago, DaveL59 said:

Well, there's a number of us that had DIY's a phone carrier or adapted the OEM one to use on other scopes. You can also use SkEye in a similar way though it doesn't plate solve so accuracy can be problematic when using the phone sensors alongside a steel tube. You'd need to come up with a phone holder and mounting method to suit the scope of course but isn't expensive to do. There's a couple threads on either on the forum.

As to whether Celestron will eventually market their system as an add-on, I think it may, eventually and there's been several voice interest. When it works it is very convenient and almost no setup time compared to a GoTo system.

Thanks for this, I’ve been down a rabbit hole and think I may have found some bits to cobble together to try a makeshift version.