Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Distance to NGC5471

FrenchyArnaud

Hi guys, I was exploring the background of my recent images as it's a personal mania of mine to try and identify the furthest object I have pictured. (Currently, on this same image: NGC5422, 100 million LY) I found this smudge that is not even ID'd by telescopius - turns out it it is NGC 5471 - HII Ionized region. I scoured the internet and all databases I could find, no way to find the distance to that thing. Does anyone have the info? (and if so, I'd love to have access to the source of the info too!)

NGC5471.png

• Like 3

I believe that is PGC49919; NGC 5471 is part of M101, on the other side towards NGC 5477.

I'd imagine PGC49919 is in the realm hundreds of millions of light years away.

There are more distant galaxies in your picuture, I'd guess you've captured objects that are billion+ light years.

Edited by SamAndrew
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I assume the 100Mly is a redshift distance for PGC49919. Inter galactic distances are really quite tough to measure especially for something as (apparently) far away as this.

Sloan Digital Sky Survey III measured a redshift of z=0.00628. That translates as a comoving distance of 88Mly for Hubble Constant of 70, and you get 100Mly with a Hubble of 61

The Simbad service is great for this kind of info (https://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/sim-basic?Ident=Pgc49919&submit=SIMBAD+search), although they’ve now added a horrible mobile interface that hides the good stuff so you have to force use of the desktop site if you’re viewing on a mobile!

A good tool for identifying seriously faint objects in your images is ASTAP. A multifunction program that has 3 levels of deep sky annotation, a "normal" bright object option, hyperleda, which goes deep and a recent addition with which you can select a region of your image and click on Simbad Annotation and a whole universe of stuff is identified in your image.

You can also do a Web search of Simbad for the same selected area and it'll give you all the catalogue details of stuff  you have and haven't collected photons from.

Something I often use also is the asteroid and comet annotation feature. 

I spend hours doing this with my images, cuz they aren't usually fit for anything else! :)

Here's what Hyperleda did with a sorry looking image of M105 I did recently.

image.png.10bba9acfd9186c33bf689ca3bd993f3.png

Edited by Paul M
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SamAndrew said:

I believe that is PGC49919; NGC 5471 is part of M101, on the other side towards NGC 5477.

I might have mismatched my orientations... Looking into it, thanks for the pointer :)

26 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

If you've shot the Leo Triplet you'll have collected a good number of quasars near the Hamburger galaxy. These are seriously distant.

I have not... yet. I explored on stellarium and apparently the Markarian's Chain has quite a few really distant things with structure too... I might give both a go. 

13 minutes ago, Paul M said:

A good tool for identifying seriously faint objects in your images is ASTAP.

Excellent point, I have it installed (it's my NINA plate solver) and I use it for stacking too, I never even thought of using it as a stand alone plate solver, trying tonight!👍

• Like 2

According the to NASA Extragalactic Database (NED) - NGC 5471 has a Hubble flow distance of 6.15 MPc. As its thought to be a companion of or associated with M 101 its about the same order.

/callump

9 hours ago, Paul M said:

A good tool for identifying seriously faint objects in your images is ASTAP. A multifunction program that has 3 levels of deep sky annotation, a "normal" bright object option, hyperleda, which goes deep and a recent addition with which you can select a region of your image and click on Simbad Annotation and a whole universe of stuff is identified in your image.

And the award for best advise of the year goes to @Paul M !!! 
This little plugin for ASTAP is just absolutely fabulous 🤪 And I cannot believe how fast it is; ASTAP was always really, really fast but Hyperleda is pretty much instantaneous. Never heard of it before; but I will never forget about it either! 

Ok, it's late March so it's about 1/4 of an award but still, spot on. Thanks Paul! 

astap.hyperleda.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrenchyArnaud said:

And the award for best advise of the year goes to @Paul M !!! 

Thank you, can I start by thanking my parents...🏆

I'm glad you like it. The very latest version ( might be a beta) has the simbad annotation feature.

If I remember correctly, press right (might be left!) mouse button somewhere over the area of interest of your image and drag out a box. Then another mouse click gives a drop down menu, somewhere in there are the online query and annotation  options.

That thing goes crazy!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Paul M said:

Thank you, can I start by thanking my parents...🏆

I'm glad you like it. The very latest version ( might be a beta) has the simbad annotation feature.

If I remember correctly, press right (might be left!) mouse button somewhere over the area of interest of your image and drag out a box. Then another mouse click gives a drop down menu, somewhere in there are the online query and annotation  options.

That thing goes crazy!

Yeps and as a bonus you can export the image in full def, annotated, which is a very cool feature. I have found the functions to send directly the request for sthg on the picture to be ID'd and detailed via NED, which is also an amazing thing, basically "point and open the database on the relevant entry" - hours of fun right there for rain rainy days ! 

m101.astap.jpg

• Like 2