Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

is filter drawer a must?

I'm planing to get a 2" mounted filter to be threaded in. I was told that the filter should not be weight bearing so it should not be threaded to the M42 extension of the camera as it will be holding the weight of the camera and it is not designed for that.  So I have to buy a filter drawer to attached the filter to this setup.

I can't understand why the filter will hold the weight of the camera while it is threaded in the tube?

I'm new to this so I may be wrong that's why I wanted to ask if the filter drawer is a must in that case?

Thanks

Edited by Maged

Need a little clarity as you've said two things there:

1. it should not be threaded to the M42 extension of the camera

2. why the filter will hold the weight of the camera while it is threaded in the tube

Are you saying the filter is threaded onto the end of an extension ring and then the camera connects to that, or is the filter inside something? If it's inside something you don't have an issue.

Alternatively doesn't your flattener have a 2" thread inside it that the filter can screw into?

• Like 1

It may be handy to know which camera you have, because the sensor on my ASI294MC Pro was just the right size for a 1.25" filter placed inside the 11mm extension on the front of the camera.

I did end up going with the filter draw & 2" filters, but only so I didn't have to removed the camera from the image train to change the filter. If you're not bothered about this then a 1.25" filter my do the job for you and it'll be cheaper. ;)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

It may be handy to know which camera you have, because the sensor on my ASI294MC Pro was just the right size for a 1.25" filter placed inside the 11mm extension on the front of the camera.

I did end up going with the filter draw & 2" filters, but only so I didn't have to removed the camera from the image train to change the filter. If you're not bothered about this then a 1.25" filter my do the job for you and it'll be cheaper. ;)

Hello,

My cameras are ASI533MC Pro or ASI2600MC Pro. I think both can go with 2" filters right?

11 hours ago, Maged said:

Hello,

My cameras are ASI533MC Pro or ASI2600MC Pro. I think both can go with 2" filters right?

The ASI533MC Pro will be fine with either the 1.25" or 2" filter.

The ASI2600MC Pro, on the other hand, has a sensor diagonal of 28.3mm, so will need a 2" filter.