Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New TeleGizmos cover saved the day!

I store my ‘scope and all related astro gear in a wooden shed. Last month I asked members if it was possible to leave the ‘scope out overnight with a good cover over it so I wouldn’t have to do all the polar alignment and two star set up again the next evening. The added benefit would be it would save me so much work just lifting it all in and out of the shed. Members strongly recommend the TeleGizmos telescope cover so I got one. I have had it a few weeks now but the weather has been against any star gazing at all!

As I had the cover I decided to give the ‘scope, mount and tripod a good clean (surprised how grubby they had become) and then put the cover over it to keep it clean. So that’s how I left it, in the shed with a shiny new TeleGizmos cover over it since last week.

Yesterday the wind was whipping up pretty bad but all was okay when I retired to bed. This morning I looked out the window and saw with growing horror that it has been raining and the wind had ripped off the central sheet of roofing felt off the shed exposing the bare wood to the elements. I quickly went out to check the damage. The shed floor was very wet, as was my table and chair, but luckily all my eyepieces and filters, Barlows etc are in a photographic case which kept them dry, all cameras and PoleMaster are kept indoors.

As for my Celestron, what can I say? The TeleGizmos cover had done its job and all was dry and all was well.

How lucky am I? Without that cover my beloved 38 year old Celestron would have had its first shower 😂, pure luck that after all these years I buy the cover and fit it over my scope only a week before this happens.

Edited by Moonshed
  • Like 4

A case of fate and what will be will be , something stirred one in to buying the TG cover and it has paid you back already.  It may be a case of the invisible Karma that has aided you , paying back in kind for past good deeds carried out.

Edited by Naughty Neal
  • Like 1

Just now, Naughty Neal said:

A case of fate and what will be will be , something stirred one in to buying the TG cover and it has paid you back already.  It may be a case of the invisible Karma that has aided you , paying back in kind for past good deeds.

It so often happens in life that the good deeds that you do are returned in spades, albeit in a totally unexpected quarter.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Naughty Neal said:

Regarding the shed roof I would for go felt and use a butyl covering , pond liner is good and virtually tear proof and one can buy it as a one piece size so no joints for wind or rain to get under.

Thank you, I have just ordered a couple of rolls of roofing felt and plenty of clout nails. I have a friend coming at 4pm this afternoon to help me re-cover the roof. Praying the weather stays calm and dry until after the job is finished.

I have no idea when the weather will allow me to do some astronomy.

1 hour ago, Carbon Brush said:

Another big vote for pond liner.

My 2007 build shed is still going strong.
Even OK where the liner hinges when the roof slides.

I have even done a garden shed with pond liner having seen the results.

HTH, David.

Had I known in time I would have ordered the pond liner but as I was in a hurry to get everything ready to go for this afternoon I had already ordered the roofing felt. But, my garden shed desperately needs the roof felt replacing so thanks to both of your recommendations I will use pond liner on that.
Thanks for the tip guys.

Happy to report, at 5:00pm, the shed roof has been completely recovered and looks brand new, it’s great to have friends in the building trade. I left the doors open all day and a stiff breeze has helped dry out the interior and having now returned all my gear to the shed you would never know the state it was in this morning.

Happy days!

All I need now is some clear skies and I’m back in business. 😄

• Like 1

That's great news, about the scope anyway. I remember your thread about leaving gear outside. Excellent timing with the purchase!

Your thread got me thinking about installing a fixed pier at home. Might wait until I've got a few more "good boy" vouchers then make my move :)

12 minutes ago, Naughty Neal said:

At least one can have piece of mind again , I would continue (if the weather allows ) to open the doors for a couple more days to ensure it is drier inside.

That I will do. So relieved to have got the roof re-covered on the same day otherwise if we had had

any more rain it would have taken ages to dry it out. As it is the floor is almost dry already.

5 minutes ago, Paul M said:

That's great news, about the scope anyway. I remember your thread about leaving gear outside. Excellent timing with the purchase!

Your thread got me thinking about installing a fixed pier at home. Might wait until I've got a few more "good boy" vouchers then make my move :)

I also keep thinking about putting in a fixed pier, save an awful lot of work.  But with the price of everything going through the roof, especially home energy bills, it’s very difficult to justify that expense on a hobby. It would take a truck load of “good boy” vouchers 😂.
Good luck with being able to install your pier.

• Like 1

With all the wind, definitely plan for securing everything down firmly if leaving outside, is my only advice! My VX16 dob stayed dry (condensation aside) in its TG365 cover outside, but the wind was enough to blow it right over; it landed on the Feathertouch focuser which now squeaks, so I have a project, but the rest seems to have survived.

13 hours ago, Paul M said:

You’re right about the timing! Following the good advice that I was given in that thread  I ordered the TG cover and it arrived Feb15th. I didn’t think to use on my scope while it was in the shed until reading some posts where they said they did that. I gave my scope, mount and tripod a good clean then covered it a week before roofgate.😃.

That was perfect timing considering I have been storing all my astro gear in it for 9 years!

• Like 1