Narrowband

NGC 3486 - Two focal lengths

A potential winter project planned, hoping to catch a few of the smaller galaxies in this FOV with the HD8.  Decided to have a go at this galaxy in widefield to see what's around and then went a little deeper.  Imaged here with the 2600mc and the Redcat51 with no filters.  10hrs 35mins, lots of fuzzies here including a couple of interacting galaxies.

All processing in Siril with Starnet, GIMP and Topaz.

NGC3486_Wide_Low.thumb.jpg.3bf6cedbccba36954863ffef09180185.jpg

At the same time I was pointing my reduced HD8 at the same galaxy with the 1600GT.  Taken in HaLRGB (ZWO 1.25 filters) with a total of 18hrs of data over three nights.  A bit of moon about so blues and lum taken after moonset.  Ha = 160mins, L = 230mins, R = 245mins, G = 205mins and B = 240mins.  All in 5min exposures, thinking I need to drop the exposure length as I wonder whether the EQ6R is up to it with the HD8 onboard.  Data binned 2x2 following processing.

NGC3486_Low_2X2.thumb.jpg.a829706a2df6e72e757a63ee2afe0335.jpg

• Like 7

I had a crack at this galaxy a few nights ago. Unfortunately, too much moon ruined most of the subs so I got rid of the data - it was that bad! Yours has come out much, much better. It's a nice target so I might try again without the light pollution😀.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Clarkey said:

I had a crack at this galaxy a few nights ago. Unfortunately, too much moon ruined most of the subs so I got rid of the data - it was that bad! Yours has come out much, much better. It's a nice target so I might try again without the light pollution😀.

Thanks Clarkey.  It's a fairly dim galaxy and doesn't fair well under a bright moon, it's actually duller than M51.  I had a few subs in the green and blue that had to be excluded due to the moon washing out any detail.  Could you get some of the Ha, I certainly could have done with more time on the Ha?

Thanks @simmo39 & @Sarek.