Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Practical Astronomy Show, Stoneleigh 2024, March 23rd

We could all meet inside, around and on top of the Pulsar Dome at 11am.

Whatever happens, don't let Saganite, Telescope40, or F15rules see you admiring anything expensive.  They have an uncanny way of talking you into buying things! 

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Whatever happens, don't let Saganite, Telescope40, or F15 see you admiring anything expensive.  They have an uncanny way of talking you into buying things! 

Great Idea Mike.
I am sure Pulsar will be delighted with our venue choice! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 13/03/2023 at 00:45, mikeDnight said:

Whatever happens, don't let Saganite, Telescope40, or F15rules see you admiring anything expensive.  They have an uncanny way of talking you into buying things! 

I resemble that remark 😂😂😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• 9 months later...

I thought I had it sorted. Travel to Kettering Stoneleigh, on March 9th  23rd.
Checking the venue web site today, this show is not included in the list of upcoming events!
I note also there is no lecture programme this time.

I have very much enjoyed the previous shows at Kettering. A great atmosphere and a chance to meet folks.
Very good lectures - fighting for tickets in fact.
I really hope it is well attended by visitors, that is the only way the retailers are going to return.
We visitors pay a bit of travel cost and buy a snack at the venue. The retailers pay a huge amount for their spots at the venue.
Fingers crossed for an absence of snow, gales and floods.

13 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Not long now!  Better start saving as buying goodies is compulsory!!

I'd imagine the traders will make some good money this year.  There's been an awful lot of new inovative  gear come onto the market in the last twelve months.  If you need a sub, just let me know Mike 😊.

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

Worth pointing out that the Practical Astronomy Show is advertised for Saturday 23rd of March 2024! not the 9th. @mikeDnight

Practical Astro Show

Indeed it now is, the date set last year for this was the 9th and then changed.

The venue also moved.

Unfortunate that I posted the date and location last year before the change was made.

I have asked the mods to alter the title 😀

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1

• Mr Spock changed the title to Practical Astronomy Show, Kettering 2024, March 23rd

Prompted by length of journey and all that.
Do any of us (near enough) pass another SGLer house on the way?
This can help with fuel cost in two ways. A tenner in tank is the most obvious.
The second and less obvious is that nattering in the car you are tempted to drop speed back a bit as there is something interesting happening in the car.
I read somewhere that 10% off the speed can give %20 better fuel consumption.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2024 at 22:02, mikeDnight said:

Well if its not included in the up coming list of events, I hope the organisers clarify matters in plenty of time. I can spend my money without leaving the house!

Mike,

You just attend the Kettering venue like last year and all will be fine...😁

Dave

• Haha 5

2023-03-1314_43_35.jpg.3a10f39f3101653fe8a8ea8f7b7b7bf0.jpg

After phoning my buddy paulastro this evening and discussing this up coming event, Paul suggested that the wonderful group of SGLers in the image above, might be moved out of a slightly guilty conscience, to start a mikeDnight sympathy fund in anticipation of the goodies I may wish to buy on the day. I felt that by mentioning it now, it would give more time to think about it. Others are welcome to join them too if the mood takes you. 😆

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I was reading this and noticed that the title was given as Kettering but the information from the site states that the venue has changed to Stoneleigh Park.

I imagine that the title is wrong and should be changed to Stoneleigh Park - I am missing something!!

• Like 2

Oh, interesting.

It's the day before we head off for a trip to Astrofarm France, but we could easily load the car and find a Travelodge nearer to Portsmouth.

Hmm, very tempting.