Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Panoptic 19mm vs Morpheus 17.5mm

AlcorAlly

I'm trying to decide between Panoptic 19mm vs Morpheus 17.5mm. If you used both of these eyepieces, I would really appreciate your thoughts on how they compare.

Purpose: To help locate objects, observe DSOs and other large targets, and for general looking around.

Telescopes: 3 inch f7.5 refractor and 6 inch f5 reflector. 

Existing eyepieces: 11 and 7mm Nagler, 4mm Delite 

I don't wear glasses when observing.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might want to share! 

Edited by AlcorAlly
typo

I have owned both on similar scopes in the past.

Firstly I am Astigmatic and wear glasses to observe, so my measure is based on that at these focal lengths.

Pan 19 is smallish, neat and light but usual TV build quality and optics, tight on eye relief but fine without glasses, I loved my one and referred to it as My Precious. But it went as my eyes deteriorated and I replaced it with a Vixen LVW 22.
The Panoptic does have issues if looking at the Moon, it distorts towards the edge, but who does Lunarwith a 19mm?

Morpheus are nice, but larger, of reasonable finish but superb optics. But they have longer eyerelief, great for glasses but if not you will or may need to use the spacer ring to keep your eye and exit pupil aligned. 
For me the Morpheus 17 is and was more of a struggle to settle with, others find them great.
Optically the Morpheus is super.

Either of your options work well, ergonomics and also your view on aesthetics will apply.

Edited by Alan White
Typos
  • Like 2

The 19mm Panoptic is diminutive and was designed with binoviewer usage in mind, along with the 24mm Panoptic.  A natural result of this is limited eye relief, which you've stated is not an issue for you.

If you like small, jewel like eyepieces, you'd probably love the 19mm Panoptic.  You might also want look into the 16mm Nagler T5 which has a slightly larger TFOV while being only a tiny bit heavier than the 19mm Pan.

• Like 2

I can talk about Morpheus 17.5 only- great optics and incredible immersive view (mostly with binoviewer), after removing the eyecup

It was the eyepiece where I have learned to look through without touching it, from some distance. Once you get used with this, you will like it

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2023 at 10:56, Marian M said:

I can talk about Morpheus 17.5 only- great optics and incredible immersive view (mostly with binoviewer), after removing the eyecup

It was the eyepiece where I have learned to look through without touching it, from some distance. Once you get used with this, you will like it

I find the 17.5mm Morpheus my favourite across the line. Great contrast, transmission and sharpness

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I've owned pairs of both and do not consider the Morpheus optically superior to the Panoptic. The Baader has greater eye relief, which I think contributes to the immersive experience that some report. I am content with the tighter eye relief of the Panoptic and find it no less immersive and certainly no less sharp than the Morpheus. I much prefer the ergonomics of the Panoptics, so I sold the Baaders.

If your experience is similar to mine, this may be quite a qualitative/subjective decision. I just find I like the Panoptics--both in terms of handling them and observing through them--more than the Baaders. My suspicion is that you'd have a clear preference if you could try them both.

Edited by The60mmKid
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, The60mmKid said:

I've owned pairs of both and do not consider the Morpheus optically superior to the Panoptic. The Baader has greater eye relief, which I think contributes to the immersive experience that some report. I am content with the tighter eye relief of the Panoptic and find it no less immersive and certainly no less sharp than the Morpheus. I much prefer the ergonomics of the Panoptics, so I sold the Baaders.

If your experience is similar to mine, this may be quite a qualitative/subjective decision. I just find I like the Panoptics--both in terms of handling them and observing through them--more than the Baaders. My suspicion is that you'd have a clear preference if you could try them both.

I have and I don't quite agree, I will take eye relief, FOV and better all round views any day. I have missed something but it has slipped my older mind, lol !

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

I have and I don't quite agree, I will take eye relief, FOV and better all round views any day. I have missed something but it has slipped my older mind, lol !

Perhaps, then, we'll agree to disagree... or at least forgive and forget 😉

• Like 1

To be honest, with those two telescopes, it seems to me that what you miss is a low power eyepiece and neither the 19mm nor the 17.5mm really satisfy this need.

I would look for a focal length of about 24mm which would give you exit pupils of 4.8mm (with 6" f5) and 3.2mm (with f7.5 refractor - larger exit pupil means lower magnification and you don't want to go too low with a small telescope). 

A 24mm focal length eyepiece is very versatile in a large number of telescopes, just in case you decide to replace yours in the future..

Edited by Piero
  • Like 2

At between that focal length and something that is relaxed and immersive; 18.2mm DeLite is lovely and engaging. Formally for a shortish period, owned a 19mm Pan, cannot recall to compare but suspect that I would not swop my 18.2mm DeLite for it. 

Alternatively as Piero has indicated maybe also look at something in around 24mm and yet I do enjoy using the DeLite 18.2 in my F/7 TV-85. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Piero said:

A 24mm focal length eyepiece is very versatile in a large number of telescopes, just in case you decide to replace yours in the future

I thought about getting a 24mm. Panoptic. But I'm worried that it will be too much mag for my light polluted skies. I'm in Bortle 5 but it feels like 6, there's quite a bit of light pollution and darker sky with more mag usually gives me better view. I compared a view with a 20mm cheap plossl with a 25mm plossl and my preference was for the 20mm one. The 25mm was starting to become a bit too bright but perhaps it would be different with a TV eyepiece?

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

At between that focal length and something that is relaxed and immersive; 18.2mm DeLite is lovely and engaging

I've heard many good things about it and I also own a 4mm Delite which I like. But at 62 degrees the 18mm would be a little too close to my 11mm Nagler in terms of view. Both the Morph and the Panoptic would give me noticeably larger view. 

image.thumb.png.4d6376c951dd49457e15a4653c9bd648.png

I'm also considering a 20mm ES 68 degree option. 

Edited by AlcorAlly
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, The60mmKid said:

The Baader has greater eye relief, which I think contributes to the immersive experience that some report.

Thank you, the eye relief is really not essential to me. The Naglers I own seem to have a little tight ER but perfectly OK and the Delite has a bit too much ER but also perfectly OK. 

8 hours ago, The60mmKid said:

Perhaps, then, we'll agree to disagree... or at least forgive and forget 😉

I forgot to mention I did keep my 24mm Pan, its a great eyepiece.

1 hour ago, AlcorAlly said:

I thought about getting a 24mm. Panoptic. But I'm worried that it will be too much mag for my light polluted skies. I'm in Bortle 5 but it feels like 6, there's quite a bit of light pollution and darker sky with more mag usually gives me better view. I compared a view with a 20mm cheap plossl with a 25mm plossl and my preference was for the 20mm one. The 25mm was starting to become a bit too bright but perhaps it would be different with a TV eyepiece?

I've heard many good things about it and I also own a 4mm Delite which I like. But at 62 degrees the 18mm would be a little too close to my 11mm Nagler in terms of view. Both the Morph and the Panoptic would give me noticeably larger view. 

image.thumb.png.4d6376c951dd49457e15a4653c9bd648.png

I'm also considering a 20mm ES 68 degree option. 

My skies are Bortle 4-5 according to my SQM-L, if you can find your way to get a 24mm Pan don't hesitate, don't anylize too much. Most of my refractors of various sizes range from f5, f5.4, f5.5, f8.4 and the views are great.

Are you open to 2" eyepieces? This one could fit the bill: https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7142_TS-Optics-XWA-20-mm-100--x-treme-wide-angle-eyepiece---2-inch.html

That would open up the FOV while keeping the exit pupil smaller. Do consider the weight, though. I had a full set of those at one point and would have kept them for life had I not transitioned to binoviewing. Amazing eyepieces.

Edited by The60mmKid

1 minute ago, The60mmKid said:

Good suggestion but I would like to stick to 1.25 to keep it light and avoid having to rebalance my mount. 

14 minutes ago, AlcorAlly said:

Good suggestion but I would like to stick to 1.25 to keep it light and avoid having to rebalance my mount. 

Not long ago I used my 2" eps (up to 100°) at least 75% of the time and now I use my 1.25" eps (up to 76°) 75% of the time. So it can go both ways and the views are still wide field and wonderful on those clear, still nites.

I have the 17.5 Morpheus and find it to be optically superb almost edge to edge. I don’t wear glasses and find the ER to be fine. I can comfortably find my viewing position instantly and due to it not suffering from kidney beaning gives it some flexibility in this regard. I only have to use the extension piece with the 4.5mm and the 6.5mm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

I have the 17.5 Morpheus and find it to be optically superb almost edge to edge. I don’t wear glasses and find the ER to be fine. I can comfortably find my viewing position instantly and due to it not suffering from kidney beaning gives it some flexibility in this regard. I only have to use the extension piece with the 4.5mm and the 6.5mm.

I agree !

• Like 1