Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Zoom eyepiece comparisons.

Chaz2b

On 13/03/2023 at 13:25, Louis D said:

I would suggest putting out a Wanted ad on UK based classifieds and also on Astromart and Cloudy Nights classifieds in the US.  There just might be someone willing to part with theirs.  I've had mine since new in the 2000 time frame, but I won't be parting with mine anytime soon.

It was Antares in Canada that marketed them.  I bought mine through O'Neill Photo in the Toronto area back in the day because they had no US dealers.  He closed up his shop long ago due to retirement.

Mr. Speers's first name is Glen.  I gather Glen Speers is still actively designing and manufacturing his Speers-Waler eyepieces in Canada, now in their Series 4 iteration.  Perhaps Antares could put you in touch with him to find out what he's up to these days.

I bought my Speers-Waler zoom from Antares in Canada quite a few years ago. It's quite a long eyepiece, especially once fully extended. It offers a nice wide field but I felt it lacked a tiny amount in terms of transmission and sharpness in comparison with premium fixed focal length eyepieces across equivalent focal lengths, so I eventually let it go. Having said that, I appreciate it's a tall order to expect the same performance from any zoom, although the more modern zooms appear to be entering that realm.

• 1 month later...
On 12/03/2023 at 20:59, bosun21 said:

I have owned both the SVbony zooms in the 9-27 & 7.2-21.6mm as well as the Baader Mk IV. The newer 7.2-21.6x is superior to the 9-27mm. I am now considering buying the newish APM zoom for finding the best focal length for the planets on any particular nights seeing. I do prefer the better optical quality of a standard eyepiece though.

By newer 7,2-21.6 do you mean there are two versions of th 7.2-21.6 or that the 7.2-21.6 is newer than the 9-27. 

If the former how do you tell new from old. 

Adam

12 minutes ago, Adam J said:

By newer 7,2-21.6 do you mean there are two versions of th 7.2-21.6 or that the 7.2-21.6 is newer than the 9-27. 

If the former how do you tell new from old. 

Adam

No the 7.2-21.6x is the new version of the 7-21x the 9-27x is a totally separate eyepiece. HTH.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

No the 7.2-21.6x is the new version of the 7-21x the 9-27x is a totally separate eyepiece. HTH.

So this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Svbony-Telescope-7-2-21-6mm-Astronomical-Accessories/dp/B097SDPWJ6/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=7.2-21.6+1.25&qid=1683733683&sr=8-1

is the one you like. 

Edited by Adam J

I think this same zoom is sold by Orion (US) and might be the same zoom sold as 7.2-21.5mm by Artesky and Tecnosky.

Most of the 7.2-21.5mm zooms have a narrower field. but those have the same element count, etc., and look identical.

The Svbony is less expensive.

On 12/03/2023 at 20:42, Ratlet said:

Not in the same range as the other zooms (and since op mentioned the nagler zoom), but it would be remiss of me to not mention the svbony sv215 3-8mm zoom which is absolutely fantastic (provided you don't wear eye glasses).  Completely blew my 8mm BST out of the water at 8mm and with an ed X2 barlow at 4mm.  Generous +/-60° FOV, needs only minor focus adjustments across the entire range better colour contrast than the BST.  Absolute gem of an eyepiece.  So good it made me enjoy planetary and regret selling my Mak.

I second everything you say about the SVbony 3-8mm. Fantastic eyepiece. Super sharp, beats the BST eyepieces. Constant 56deg afov. Fantastic build. Lovely zoom action. Only zoom I own. If you have a short focal length refractor or spotting scope, it's made for it. It also loves being barlowed. 

• Like 3

On 10/05/2023 at 16:54, bosun21 said:

Yes, it’s a bit more expensive but optically superior.

Not sure if that was a full on recommendation but I got one for the Skymax 102 grab and go scope I intend to use with my son for lunar mainly. 

It was either that or a couple of Plossls so high field of view fixed eyepieces were not really a contender. 

Adam

Just now, Adam J said:

Not sure if that was a full on recommendation but I got one for the Skymax 102 grab and go scope I intend to use with my son for lunar mainly. 

It was either that or a couple of Plossls so high field of view fixed eyepieces were not really a contender. 

Adam

For the price it’s an eyepiece that will cover a lot of bases for you as well as a range of magnification. I don’t think you’ll regret it. You would have to spend considerably more to best it. Good luck.

My first Zoom eyepiece was a Celestron Zoom because it was inexpensive and while it was okay I recently bought a Baader Hyperion Mark IV and I can really tell a difference between the two. The Baader is a little lighter and the quality of the optics is much better, doesn’t seem to be as much glare when viewing planets or stars and the eye relief is just as good, with a decent field of view for a Zoom. It’s a bit wider than the Celestron Zoom eyepiece though which is my only complaint about it I sometimes like to snap a quick image with a smartphone mount and it’s a bit difficult to get a mount around it but it’s easy to fit a camera onto so that’s not really an big issue.  I have looked through a Tel Vue  3-6mm Nagler Zoom before and I really want one of those to use with my Newtonian the views through them are superb though I was looking through one in a friend’s refractor so the type of scope really helps with such a small focal length zoom, Tel Vue makes great eye pieces though. 

On 10/05/2023 at 11:54, bosun21 said:

Yes, it’s a bit more expensive but optically superior.

It has a wider field of view , 42-65°, than many ! Mine has excellent performance of the 8-9 I have owned at a third the price of the Baader, which I had and sold.

Edited by LDW1

On 10/05/2023 at 12:00, Don Pensack said:

I think this same zoom is sold by Orion (US) and might be the same zoom sold as 7.2-21.5mm by Artesky and Tecnosky.

Most of the 7.2-21.5mm zooms have a narrower field. but those have the same element count, etc., and look identical.

The Svbony is less expensive.

I wouldn't call 42-65° too shabby compared to many, many other excellent priced zooms when comparing fields of view and not that far behind the much higher priced Baader. 

size/diam./apparent field/eye relief

Svbony Zoom 3-8 1.25 56   10
Svbony Zoom 7-21 1.25 40-57   16.3-18
Svbony Zoom 8-24 1.25 38-56   18-19.5
Svbony Zoom 9-27 1.25 40-60   17.5
Svbony Zoom 10-30 1.25 33-51   17-18.5
Svbony Zoom 7.2-21.5 1.25 42-65   18-20
  • Like 1

I wonder why they do so many different zooms of about the same focal lengths and eye reliefs.  I know they just rebrand but it just seems a bit odd.  Is there a big difference in optical quality with them?

13 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

I wonder why they do so many different zooms of about the same focal lengths and eye reliefs.  I know they just rebrand but it just seems a bit odd.  Is there a big difference in optical quality with them?

Do a little research, they are more, much more than a rebranding outlet like many of the brand namers ! A pretty diverse optical supplier of everything thats quality, read between the same old lines that you read, constantly. And they aren't done yet ! Some of the old tried and ........ had better watch their back, in this industry, lol.

Edited by LDW1

39 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

Do a little research, they are more, much more than a rebranding outlet like many of the brand namers ! A pretty diverse optical supplier of everything thats quality, read between the same old lines that you read, constantly. And they aren't done yet ! Some of the old tried and ........ had better watch their back, in this industry, lol.

I didn't mean it as an insult, but a lot of their stuff is rebranded, and the same as other manufacturers offerings (although svbony are usually a good bit cheaper).

I really like pretty much everything I've got from the so far, and I'm basically an svbony fanboy at this point based on their price to quality ratio, especially the 3-8mm zoom which made me enjoy planetary.  I just don't understand the rational between having such a large variety of zooms with such similar focal lengths, fovs and eyereliefs.

16 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

I didn't mean it as an insult, but a lot of their stuff is rebranded, and the same as other manufacturers offerings (although svbony are usually a good bit cheaper).

I really like pretty much everything I've got from the so far, and I'm basically an svbony fanboy at this point based on their price to quality ratio, especially the 3-8mm zoom which made me enjoy planetary.  I just don't understand the rational between having such a large variety of zooms with such similar focal lengths, fovs and eyereliefs.

Why don't you contact them and ask, they have their own factory, they have been around for more than a dozen years under the brand name VITE until about 2017 I believe. How do you actually know they are a rebrander, I have asked many times to see definite evidence, rather maybe a manufacturer for other big names. I have 4 of their zooms and each performs differently !  As they say on the tv ' the Price Is Right ', everything they sell is quality, even their starting gear. Give them a call, drop them a line, you will get a response !

Edited by LDW1
  • Like 1

I've got a set of SVBony's super Plossls which I think, considering the price, are great value & , good quality. I too am a bit baffled by the similarity of the zoom eyepieces, particularly the 7-21 and the 7.2- 21.5. Perhaps I should buy both and see for myself the difference ?

Rob

2 minutes ago, Veloman said:

I've got a set of SVBony's super Plossls which I think, considering the price, are great value & , good quality. I too am a bit baffled by the similarity of the zoom eyepieces, particularly the 7-21 and the 7.2- 21.5. Perhaps I should buy both and see for myself the difference ?

Rob

Thats why I have several, every once and a while I take them out both at nite or day or solar and put them up against each other. Its all part of my enjoyment, lol !  PS:  I got rid of my Baader Hyperion zoom, my older but well thought of Meade 4000's (2) and my new Orion 7-21 zoom, they were gathering dust, lol.

Try contacting John Chen for Svbony questions.  I was contacted by him in regards to customer input for the 3-8mm zoom while it was still in development in January of 2022.

Here is his contact information:

sales manager of eshow co.ltd including 3 brands( retevis(ailunce)/Retekess/ svbony)
Facebook:John Chen
paypal em-ail: eshow.btoc@gmail.com
whatsapp:+8613526737346

And here was the ebay email address that he contacted me through:

svbony_lq5848lh@members.ebay.com.hk

He clearly wants Svbony to be a quality company that responds to customer interests and needs.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Try contacting John Chen for Svbony questions.  I was contacted by him in regards to customer input for the 3-8mm zoom while it was still in development in January of 2022.

Here is his contact information:

sales manager of eshow co.ltd including 3 brands( retevis(ailunce)/Retekess/ svbony)
Facebook:John Chen
paypal em-ail: eshow.btoc@gmail.com
whatsapp:+8613526737346

And here was the ebay email address that he contacted me through:

svbony_lq5848lh@members.ebay.com.hk

He clearly wants Svbony to be a quality company that responds to customer interests and needs.

I've found their communication to be very good.  I enquired back when I first hear rumblings about the SV220 Dual band filter about when it would be released.  They gave me an approximate release date and followed up later to let me know that it had in fact released.

Whatever feedback they got on the 3-8mm zoom paid off.  It's an absolute delight of an eyepiece.  Easily one of my best experiences in observing was having used a BST Starguider 8mm for ages for planetary and then getting the zoom.  An absolute revelation.  And then I paired it with the baargain contrast booster you suggested.  Just pure joy.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LDW1 said:

Why don't you contact them and ask, they have their own factory, they have been around for more than a dozen years under the brand name VITE until about 2017 I believe. How do you actually know they are a rebrander, I have asked many times to see definite evidence, rather maybe a manufacturer for other big names. I have 4 of their zooms and each performs differently !  As they say on the tv ' the Price Is Right ', everything they sell is quality, even their starting gear. Give them a call, drop them a line, you will get a response !

We've been through this before.  A very small number of their products are unique to Svbony.  Most of them are available from other labels and in most cases were available under other labels first, in some cases long before.

They are to be commended for doing a good job of promotion, and offering a wide variety of products.

But, in terms of eyepieces, except for a couple of the zooms, and the plastic lens eyepieces, I see nothing that wasn't offered by other companies earlier.

They are not a manufacturer for other big names.  You are just being a shill for their brand name.  They sell eyepieces made by KunMing United Optics, Barsta, Suzhou Synta, and Tianyuan--maybe others.

Like Omegon, or Levenhuk, or Telescope Service, etc., they are selling rebranded products from other suppliers.  That's fine, and the prices are OK.  But let's not pretend they are some large manufacturer of optical equipment.

Hong Kong is not a big source for optics made in China.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ratlet said:

I've found their communication to be very good.  I enquired back when I first hear rumblings about the SV220 Dual band filter about when it would be released.  They gave me an approximate release date and followed up later to let me know that it had in fact released.

Whatever feedback they got on the 3-8mm zoom paid off.  It's an absolute delight of an eyepiece.  Easily one of my best experiences in observing was having used a BST Starguider 8mm for ages for planetary and then getting the zoom.  An absolute revelation.  And then I paired it with the baargain contrast booster you suggested.  Just pure joy.

If I did much lunar / planetary viewing I would own a 3-8 myself !

1 hour ago, Don Pensack said:

We've been through this before.  A very small number of their products are unique to Svbony.  Most of them are available from other labels and in most cases were available under other labels first, in some cases long before.

They are to be commended for doing a good job of promotion, and offering a wide variety of products.

But, in terms of eyepieces, except for a couple of the zooms, and the plastic lens eyepieces, I see nothing that wasn't offered by other companies earlier.

They are not a manufacturer for other big names.  You are just being a shill for their brand name.  They sell eyepieces made by KunMing United Optics, Barsta, Suzhou Synta, and Tianyuan--maybe others.

Like Omegon, or Levenhuk, or Telescope Service, etc., they are selling rebranded products from other suppliers.  That's fine, and the prices are OK.  But let's not pretend they are some large manufacturer of optical equipment.

Hong Kong is not a big source for optics made in China.

You have accused me of that before on CN, its a good job I am not one to take offence of your blather, every time I point out, from experience, something you don't like.  That might show your character / what you might be made of, I don't make it a point to question anyones integrity including a fellow astronomer ? My extensive research into that great company is quite different from yours as we can all tell. Many great fellow astronomers on both sides of the ocean will vouch for that. PS:  And you have never shown definite proof to refute my findings ! There is only one God !

Edited by LDW1