Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A wide view of M81 and M82

Horwig

wf-8182.thumb.jpg.a4e6ab8936eefa0c89e7cabbd1696e82.jpg

Imaged Feb 13th, but only now sort of happy with the processing.

I've been trying to make it 'pop', but having difficulty, I might have pushed the colour too far.

Anyway, details, Reduced FSQ106 with ZWO6200mono. 230 minutes L in 10 minute subs, 40 minutes each RGB in 5 minute subs

The main galaxies are a re-process of old data, FSQ106 with QSI6120, so slightly higher sampling

processed in Pi and PS, with a good dose of Russel Croman thrown in for good measure

Huw

• Like 21

22 minutes ago, tomato said:

Great image! A lot of wide, deep images of this region seem to have the IFN overwhelming the galaxies in my opinion, I think the balance on your image is much more sympathetic.

Thanks, I think you've hit the nail on the head with my problems with processing. What's supposed to be the true star of the image, the IFN or the galaxies? Did my usual search online for similar images, and came away perplexed with how to proceed. This was the latest in a long line of attempts.

If I'me honest, the galaxies are too blue compared to their balance in the IFN wide, but the blue was their colour in the PI processed and calibrated narrow angle image, so I assume it was fairly representative.

Colour calibration of the wide was done on the whole image, and the galaxies came out a dirty yellow, but the IFN came out fairly neutral. So the composite is a compromise.

Here's the old image:

image.thumb.jpeg.898a8582e480f73b61afd91ebc67788c.jpeg

And here it is again with three years of practice on Pi, and Mr Croman's magic applied

m8182.thumb.jpg.9fc023dfef02967b8bbb03071c7733d5.jpg

same data, just persuaded a bit

180 minutes L, in 5 minute subs, RGB, 20 minutes each in 2 minute subs, bin x2, Ha, 3 hours in 30 minute subs

• Like 2

I’m gradually going through my old data, applying SPCC and the RC suite of processing tools, but I do get mixed results with the colour using SPCC. A lot of my images are of small galaxies with a small FOV, so I suspect the limited number of stars available for SPCC is the problem.