Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Roaming The Sky

Epick Crom

Hello fellow Astronomers!

I had a great opportunity last night to carry out multiple observations over vast swathes of the night sky as darkness is starting earlier here in the southern hemisphere and the waning gibbous moon was not due to rise until around 9pm, so my session ran from 7pm until 9:30pm.

Sky darkness: Bortle 6/7 backyard. NELM 4.

Transparency: Excellent

Seeing: Excellent

Instrument: Saxon 10 inch dobsonian.

I started my voyage with Venus and Mars. Venus was my best view so far this apparition, the steady atmosphere aiding me in clearly seeing it's gibbous shape. Mars presented an almost identical phase, I could make out the tiny dark area of Terra Cimmeria on its tiny 7.5" disk.

From there it was time for deep sky, I started in the north, progressively sweeping my way south.

TAURUS

M1: Why not start at the beginning of the Messier catalogue? I thought. This was actually my clearest view of the supernova remnant so far, even though at best it looked like a vague smudge of light.

118 Tauri: Nice almost evenly matched double star.

M45: Beautiful at 50x in my 24mm Panoptic. Faint nebulosity was apparent.

NGC 1514: Crystal Ball Nebula. My first time successfully identifying this planetary nebula. Central star prominent, but the vague nebulosity was only seen averted vision at 185x 

NGC 1647: The third finest open cluster in Taurus for me. Nice, wide and fairly concentrated.

AURIGA 

Was getting low so I just hit two objects from here.

M38: I loved this view. Nice, rich open cluster with a spiral shape.

M37: Oh my! Very rich, very compact beautiful open cluster! 

GEMINI 

M35: Large, beautiful open cluster. I could not make out faint companion cluster NGC 2158 on this night.

NGC 2392: Eskimo Nebula. Fantastic planetary nebula with a high surface brightness. Vividly green and looked good at 300x.

Castor: Brilliant, off white evenly matched double star. Nice at 680x

CANCER

M44: Always a crowd pleaser, this wide open cluster showed multiple pairs and triples arranged together at 70x. 

Iota Cancri: Where have you been all my life? A beautiful yellow and blue double star that I observed for the first time. Beautiful!

M67: This is a good, rich open cluster that is unfairly overshadowed by M44. A beauty in its own right.

NGC 2775: This galaxy appeared a a faint glow, but I was happy to find it. Another first time sighting.

Tegmine (Zeta Cancri): Another stunning double star in Cancer. Actually it's a triple, I resolved all three components at 537x . Incredible view as the image was super steady!

CRUX

Alpha Crucis: I was treated to another incredible star image, this brilliant white blue double star was breathtaking at 686x.

NGC 4755: The Jewel Box. Crystal clear clarity observing this amazing open cluster. Hard for words to do justice to the view at 70x. More sparkles than any diamonds on earth!

NGC 4103: I like to call this open cluster the "arrow cluster". Fairly rich with a distinct arrow shape!

CARINA 

NGC 2822: A challenging galaxy to observe as it lies close to the bright star Miaplacidus (Beta Carinae). I just caught a glimpse of its diffuse glow using 343x and by removing Miaplacidus just outside the field of view.

NGC 3532: What a spectacle! Very rich, dense and bright open cluster. John Herschel called this cluster among the finest in the sky, I completely agree with him!

NGC 3293: The Gem cluster. Very beautiful and compact open cluster. A rival to the Jewel Box in terms of sheer beauty!

NGC 2808: Big and bright globular cluster. Resolved as a multitude of very fine, faint stars at 522x.

NGC 3372: The mighty ETA Carina Nebula. Wow! Nebulosity and dark lanes visible surrounding the multiple imbedded star clusters of this nebula. Of these clusters, Trumpler 15 looked particularly stunning, shining like a group of diamonds amongst the glow. The Homunculus Nebula surrounding ETA Carina was incredible at high powers, looking almost exactly like a smaller version of the famous Hubble images of it.

I finished off my session by observing the remarkable Ghost Of Jupiter planetary nebula NGC 3242 in Hydra. Another highlight on a night of many! I saw it's central star along with intricate details within the nebula that I've never seen before. A ring of glowing light blue nebulosity which reminded me why it is also named " The CBS Eye". It took the magnification of 686x well. The seeing and transparency was my saviour on this night, making up for the light pollution. Thanks for reading this far and wishing you all clear, steady, transparent and hopefully dark skies! 

Clear skies

Joe

Edited by Epick Crom
  • Like 8

19 hours ago, Epick Crom said:

NGC 3372: The mighty ETA Carina Nebula. Wow! Nebulosity and dark lanes visible surrounding the multiple imbedded star clusters of this nebula.

Excellent report!

Someday I'd like go go to Aus and observe some of those excellent objects like the Eta carina, congrats for a great session,Gerry

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Fantastic vivid report. SO jealous of your SH objects. And all at Bortle 6/7. Well done.

Magnus

Thanks Magnus! The seeing is normally good here in Perth, but that night was one of the best I've seen, not even a slight ripple. Clear skies to you mate👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jetstream said:

Excellent report!

Someday I'd like go go to Aus and observe some of those excellent objects like the Eta carina, congrats for a great session,Gerry

G'Day Gerry!

If you ever comming Down Under drop me a line, I will be glad to give you a personal tour of our southern skies!

• Like 1

Joe, fantastic read and I am amazed you banged that many targets from your light polluted skies. I would love to see NGC 3372 one day. If I understand it is quite bright, M42 bright or brighter? Do  filters bring out more details to it at all?

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

What a session some great objects there Tegmine especially lovely triple when you can split it. Was Leo not available to you the trio would have been good to see. 

Thanks! Leo was available to me but it's still a bit low for the time I observe usually from sundown until 9:30pm max. I'm planning on visiting Leo next week!

Clear Skies

Joe

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kon said:

Joe, fantastic read and I am amazed you banged that many targets from your light polluted skies. I would love to see NGC 3372 one day. If I understand it is quite bright, M42 bright or brighter? Do  filters bring out more details to it at all?

G'Day Kostas!

NGC 3372 is bright, but M42 is more intense. NGC 3372 is larger and more spread out. Also NGC 3372 has several open clusters imbedded with it. I rate M 42 as the skies brightest nebula, followed by NGC 3372. I don't have any nebula filters yet so have never tried them.NGC 2070 in the Large Magellanic Cloud is also a very bright nebula.

You must see NGC3372 some day, it looks spectacular, it's nebulosity is bright enough to show hints of colour when high in the sky.

All the best.

Joe

• Thanks 1