Narrowband

It still Works!!

Lurcher

Hi all,

I wasn't sure quite where to post this, so hoping here is ok.

I'm afraid it's not a really interesting or detailed observing report, but I just wanted to say something as I haven't posted much at all in ages.

That's largely because I didn't have much luck getting out last year, and then one day in October, there was the promise of a clear sky, and in my desperation to use my scope I set it up in the afternoon so it was all ready to use that night. I then took Luka our dog out for a walk, but while we were out, it absolutely chucked it down with rain. Luka and I got soaked, and unfortunately so did my scope.. Once I had gotten all the electrical bits in and out of the rain I wasn't too worried. As I assumed the rain wouldn't be able to get  in to any electrics inside the scope. (The scope is the SkyWatcher Stargate 500P so it takes about 30 minutes to take down and pack away). 

So the forecast was wrong and I never did get to do any observing that night. 

The next time I went to use the scope, the scope suddenly went haywire when I tried finding objects using the GoTo function. It turned out rain HAD gotten inside and the Azimuth encoder was affected.  Harrison Scopes where I'd bought the scope from were great in reassuring me that it should dry out ok, although there were a little worried that it had been left like that for a couple of weeks. I removed the covers and kept trying to dry the scope out, but it seemed a very long and frustrating time of testing the scope and then packing it away again, either convinced or not quite sure whether I had  broken my new and very expensive telescope.

That was until Monday the 20th February when I had a really great and unexpected couple of hours stargazing!

The sky had been looking quite clear , although the forecast said it was going to cloud over by 7pm, but as it looked so good, I decided to risk it and set the scope up in the back garden. 

Thankfully, despite the forecast, it stayed clear the whole time I was out!

I was so massively relieved and pleased to see that the GoTo function was now working perfectly, and the scope continued to find every object I chose. (Unfortunately, because I wasn't expecting to do any stargazing that week, I hadn't prepared a list of objects to see. So I started with another look at M42 as it's always so brilliant, and then I moved on to the Eskimo or Clown Face nebula in Gemini NGC 2392 as it usually looks so good through the Stargate. (I originally bought the scope for galaxies, but it's been the brightness of stars and views of planetary nebulas which have blown me away more). Not being sure what to view next, I grabbed my book on Observing the Hesrchel 400, and hurriedly flicked through the objects to see in February and March. The objects for March looked interesting, and I started with an object I'd seen before through my 12" Flextube Dobsonian, the Intergalactic Wanderer - NGC 2419 in Lynx. It wasn't as impressive or clear as I'd been hoping for, (but I later realized this was because my secondary mirror had condensation all over it! I didn't realize how bad it was until much later. (Because I hadn't expected the clear sky to last I hadn't bothered with my dew heater).

I then went on to the beautiful UFO Galaxy or NGC 2683 also in Lynx. I hadn't seen this before, and it was a nice sight. A really nice edge-on galaxy. (A barred spiral galaxy I believe).

I then moved on to a pair of galaxies in Leo. NGC 2964 and 2968. there's also a third there somewhere, (NGC 2970), but with my secondary mirror nicely obscured with condensation I didn't see that one. In fact, I didn't see NGC 2964 or 2968 at first. I had to study and compare the star field in the eyepiece with the stars shown in the Herschel Guide to see where I needed to be looking, and only then did I manage to see two of the faintest grey smudges imaginable.

I then had a look at M95, M96, M105 and NGC 3384 in Leo, before finally trying NGC 2392 again. Which I noticed now looked more like the blinking nebula (as it only popped into full view with averted vision), that I finally realized how much moisture there was on my secondary mirror.

So, no amazing observations I'm afraid, but I was just so happy to have gotten out unexpectantly, and that the scope was now definitely working ok.

I also just wanted to say how much I've enjoyed this scope, as it doesn't seem to get much positive feedback, apart from "Stars and Ships"  who sadly was selling his.

Really looking forward to the next clear night now! 

All the best,

Martin

2023-02-21 sketch 1.jpg

2023-02-21 sketch 2.jpg

• Like 12

Great report and interesting to hear that you have found that planetaries and star brightness give you the real wow factor. Sounds like a great scope. Any chance you could leave outside in an enclosure, run off shed or similar so it’s ready for use (with dew heaters ready and waiting 😁 )?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RobertI said:

Any chance you could leave outside in an enclosure, run off shed or similar so it’s ready for use (with dew heaters ready and waiting 😁 )?

I would love a run-off shed! That would be ideal!! Unfortunately our garden is too small/limited for that. The big plan is to move to a property with a more suitable garden one day. But that's just a dream at the moment. In the meantime I need to order a "Telegizmos" scope cover so I can at least cover it when needed. - I also need to sort my Garden Office out one way or another, and one option I have in mind, would be to reduce the size of my office which would be fine, thereby creating a separate room for the scope so I can leave it set up and then wheel it out into position with some wheelbarrow type handles. But it's all cost. And I don't know if the handles would really work that well. So the cover is first ! Cheers.

As you say, all these things cost money! I don’t know how big the scope is ‘person’ but I wonder if a “sentry box” style run off shed might be a cheap option - it would have a small footprint and you would either roll the shed away or roll the scope out. Anyway a Telegizmo cover sounds like a really good start. I have a similar problem with lack of space in the garden, but fortunately my modest visual setup takes ten minutes to set up, so an obsy not really needed . I have enjoyed EAA in the past so a more permanent setup would really help that, but I don’t think I have time for both EAA and visual at the moment, so visual it is for now. 

Edited by RobertI
  • Like 2

On 09/03/2023 at 12:14, RobertI said:

As you say, all these things cost money! I don’t know how big the scope is ‘person’ but I wonder if a “sentry box” style run off shed might be a cheap option - it would have a small footprint and you would either roll the shed away or roll the scope out. Anyway a Telegizmo cover sounds like a really good start. I have a similar problem with lack of space in the garden, but fortunately my modest visual setup takes ten minutes to set up, so an obsy not really needed . I have enjoyed EAA in the past so a more permanent setup would really help that, but I don’t think I have time for both EAA and visual at the moment, so visual it is for now. 

Thanks for your reply Rob! Sorry I haven't replied before now, it's been a bit manic and hectic with work. I like your idea of a sentry style shed. You're right, it needn't take up too much ground if the scope was parked in an up[right position, but to observe comfortably, I'd have to locate it in right in the middle of the garden! We could really do with a few more clear nights at the moment too!! Cheers!

On 09/03/2023 at 19:54, SuburbanMak said:

Great report, glad it’s all working and fabulous sketches! 

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 17/03/2023 at 13:42, wookie1965 said:

Wow what a session really glad it is all working for you. 

Thank you. I'm really hoping to get out again tomorrow night again. Fingers crossed of course!

• Like 1