Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another m101

glennbech

This is two hours of m101 taken with my sw explorer 8" newtonian, and a 400D DSLR. These shubs are 5 minutes and Ive done background subtraction in pixinsight LE

I think I may have to go trough some of the subs again as It got dewy during the night. I think imaging around zenith makes the scope much more vulnerable to dew. The full moon was out of the way most of the session, but the transparency wasn't that good.

post-15053-133877365745_thumb.jpg

Nice shot. These things can take a long time to put tgether. I've always struggled with pixinsight but find I have more control with flats. I always end up with very dark skies and a general colour cast but that's perhaps my ignorance ! Send it in again if you think further processing has improved things, Regards , Trevor

I've done a real stupid mistake on this one. Can someone please hand me a sword? :.)

I did some sky-flats today and calibrated my M101 image from a few days back with them. I know flats should be taken without removing the camera etc. etc. but my experience is that some flats are better than no flats!

At first, I thought that my flats were wrong, but then I realized that I have been shooting for two sessions without the metal cover on the back of the newtonian (!) Doh! I forgot to put it back after a quick collimation... There is definitly a "light leakage" going on, so i had to do a DBE in Pixinsight AFTER calibration with the flats.

I've also applied 17 darks this time. This entire shoot is pretty worthless now, but It's kind of fun to try to "Fix" the impossible :-)

"Check tracking and focus appears slightly soft and there is a bit of noise did you apply darks. Maybe tweak curves a bit." - Focus is pretty good, but tracking was not okay. I have gone through my stack manually and removed about half of the subs. The new stack is 50 minutes.

A Slight improvement? Not bad I think considering the circumstances, and that half of the data is gone.

post-15053-133877365979_thumb.jpg

I feel your pain, I did the same with my flats recently. M101 is an object that cries out for proper flats, pixinsight, although great, doesn't do it justice. It's not too bad anyways :)

Archived