SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello and Thank You from Petersfield, Hants.

Blahblahman

Hello Everyone.

Firstly, a big thank you for everyone’s contribution and the wealth of info on this site. It’s really helped me to navigate my way in this fantastic, albeit at times, frustrating and expensive hobby. No pain, no gain eh!

At the end of last year, I was looking for a hobby that I could do outside on a winters eve but that would also allow a technical element that I can do when not able to indulge in the physical aspect.

Visual Astronomy it is then!  I bought a cheap scope from Marketplace (Celestron LCM114) but soon realised how limited that was and so decided to go all out with a C8 HD Edge and Goto mount. I’m gradually adding the usual upgrades and some bits and bobs. In fact due today is a WO 2” diagonal!

I’m still getting that WOW moment when discovering new objects and have managed a respectable 16x 60-90min sessions since the start of the year. I’m only a 10 min drive from some reasonably dark sky sites (B4 / ~21.20mag) but have yet to find that superdooper spot that’s got it all, accessible, uninterrupted views, a level clean site that has some privacy. The search continues!

I hope perhaps to see another member out one day at the numerous sites along the South Downs and if anyone wants company for an viewing session, please feel free to get in touch.

David.

• Like 5

Hello, David, and welcome to SGL!

I'm a few miles south-west of you, in Denmead, and would definitely be up for a few viewing sessions.

I'm also fairly new to the hobby and so far I've kept my viewing to the back garden, front drive and the local park (whose abundance of trees shield many of the local street lights).

However I've been meaning to get out to a dark sky site. The most promising locally seems to be Old Winchester Hill. Have you been there yet, and if so, how was it?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Clanfield observatory is not far from you at all and I’ve had some really positive experiences with hands Astro who run it; there’s quite the waiting list to join but since they have lots of stuff to use it’s worth it! Keep an eye out for their open days!

Welcome to SGL David. I'm not far from you in Winchester and also on the hunt for a good dark site observing spot somewhere in the South Downs area. Happy to join any groups venturing out to Old Winchester Hill or elsewhere, once the weather clears up of course 😓🙄

Stephen 

• 4 weeks later...