SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Using a Quark Combo and Maksutov Scope

Good Afternoon.

This is my first post and I would like some clarification please. 
I have just purchased a Daystar Quark Combo Chromos eyepiece, I have a small 90mm Skywatcher Maksutov which I would like to pair with the scope. Does a 90mm scope require a D-ERF filter to the front or can I get away with an ERF at the eyepiece?

20 hours ago, Sivorn said:

Good Afternoon.

This is my first post and I would like some clarification please. 
I have just purchased a Daystar Quark Combo Chromos eyepiece, I have a small 90mm Skywatcher Maksutov which I would like to pair with the scope. Does a 90mm scope require a D-ERF filter to the front or can I get away with an ERF at the eyepiece?

From FLO:

"Important Notes:

Do not use with full aperture SCTs or damage to your secondary mirror may result. SCTs must be fitted with an off axis ERF, available separately. 

SCT and Maksutov users need to purchase an Energy Rejection Filter specific to their telescope for safe operation. 

SCT owners must employ a front mount, off-axis, aperture reduced Energy Rejection Filter (ERF) in order to achieve optimum performance. This front mount ERF will generate a slower focal ratio through aperture reduction while preventing heat build-up in the optical tube assembly.

Maktsutov telescopes operating at a native ~F/15 focal ratio do not need to reduce the aperture of the telescope but must use front mount energy rejection to prevent overheating of the optical tube assembly."

From this I would deduce that a front mounted ERF is required to stop heat build up within the closed telescope tube.

• Thanks 1

The key weak point of Mak for solar without ERF is the aluminised secondary and it's baffle. Usually these baffles are plastic and glued to the corrector plate, so the concentrated heat can deform or even melt it.

• Thanks 1