SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Looking to start up again :)

Hi everyone,

Long story short, I dabbled with telescopes a good few years ago but never really had the time to get into it properly, or learn anything. I had an old 10" Orion Newt on an old EQ5 mount, with a DIY Mel Bartels GOTO system, it was really neat and it blew my mind.

Now I want to take the hobby up, but properly this time. So I wanted to ask you lovely people, what are your recommendations on a setup? I'm really interested in just swinging the scope around at being amazed at what I find (or don't). But I definitely want a GOTO system too, with a good mount and tracking system for astrophotography. I want to spend around £1000 for the scope and mount/tripod.

I kind of had my eyes on a Skywatcher Explorer 200PDS on either a EQ5-Pro, or an HEQ5-Pro. I love Newts, but I could be convinced to go for something else it's the right price, and I guess the right choice.

Thanks,

You should not expect one scope to do everything well. If you want to do " swinging the scope around at being amazed at what I find", find objects with GoTo, and do deep-space astrophotography, you may need up to three scope/mount setups.

A 200PDS really needs a HEQ5 Pro Synscan, or an EQ-6 if you intend to image.  It would really be easier to start imaging with a small refractor, which is what many deep-sky imagers use. £1000 will not get you far here - you probably need to spend more.

I had a 203mm Newt on a manual EQ-5 at one time. I thought the combination was awful, and I had great difficulty in finding anything with it. I changed it for an 8" SCT with GoTo as soon as I could.  Opinions may differ, of course. 

7 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

You should not expect one scope to do everything well

My azgti+z61 setup does all that detailed within the first paragraph quite decently. But maybe not within a £1000 budget if AP is also involved, you'd have to double or triple the budget. AP complicates things somewhat as it depends on what you'd want to image, to image every kind of target well does need different setups/extra equipment.

But yes, the general consensus is one scope/setup won't do it all well. Based on the type of scope you'll want/what you'll want in future will determine the type of mount you'll need, and the mount+tripod is the most important thing in the whole setup.

If you'd like to visually wander the skies then a short focal length refractor will do, you don't even need a goto mount for this, it can be more involving to search for objects yourself.

I think the subject of  "what scope to get for my budget" type threads is one of the most frequent topics that crop up on the forum.

After a brake of several years I got back into the hobby by purchasing an Explorer 200P on a goto EQ5, which at the time was under the £1000 budget.  Finding visual astronomy frustrating from my town location I soon wanted to bolt on a cheap camera and go down that road.  I then found the EQ5 was well past the limits for imaging with the 200P, so it was all in and I opted for a permanent set up in an observatory.  The 200P was "upgraded" by fitting a 1/10th wavelength secondary from Orion Optics, and the kit was mounted on a second hand HEQ5.  With a Canon D400, ST80 as a guide scope plus all the cables and such, the HEQ5 works, but it's borderline.  It works for me as the observatory provides a sheltered area so the sail like 200P isn't bothered much by the wind, but in the open you would need a calm night if you didn't want the data to be wasted.

I would suggest a 150PDS on an HEQ5, or if you have your hart set on a 200PDS then you're looking at an EQ6 combo which will be over your budget.   And yes, no one scope suits all.  A CAT such as the Celestron 8" might be a "good" compromise as with a long focal length and large aperture it is ideal for planetary and luna work, but with a focal reducer should also be capable of getting descent DSO images too.   Whilst the weight may be more than the 200PDS, it's mass and small tube should make the HEQ5 capable of dealing with it.  

13 hours ago, malc-c said:

A CAT such as the Celestron 8" might be a "good" compromise as with a long focal length and large aperture it is ideal for planetary and luna work, but with a focal reducer should also be capable of getting descent DSO images too.   Whilst the weight may be more than the 200PDS, it's mass and small tube should make the HEQ5 capable of dealing with it.  

Actually a Celestron C8 SCT weighs several Kg less than an 8" Newtonian. I have owned both.

• Like 1