Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What a lot of friends M101 has

Tim

I seem to be stockpiling telescopes for some reason. Amongst my armoury is a little 6 inch newtonian by Orion Optics, that has done the rounds among several SGLers in its time. It was feeling a little neglected I think, so I gave it another run out a couple of weeks back.

The little tube hadn't been used in months, and had been moved all around my workshop, but the collimation had held true despite this. The tube has an enlarged secondary mirror, and can be used with a dslr, or in this case QHY8. A Baader MPCC helps with the stars in the corners, although it isn't perfect.

I've been admiring the images of M101 that have been appearing lately, there have been some great shots taken, and so thought it appropriate to have a go a widefield pic of it myself.

I was absolutely amazed to see that M101 is surrounded by a mass of fuzzies, and a couple of what must be closer galaxies. There is a nice edge on one at the top left of the image, and what I assume is an irregular shaped galaxy at bottom right?? But just beneath M101 is a very dense area of fuzzies, almost like a very distant Markarians chain.

I was also pleased to see that the Qhy8 managed to pick up a few of the star forming regions in colour, and that the Ha shows as a faint pink.

Again, I have posted a thumbnail, but better to view the fullsize pic here;

http://www.btinternet.com/~mr.squeegee/Astro/M101.jpg

Thanks for looking.

TJ

EDIT: oops, forgot the exposure details. 4hrs each of 10 and 20 min subs. best 6.5 hrs chosen.

post-14037-133877365716_thumb.jpg

The galaxy deserves attention TJ. It is a very photogenic little pinwheel. Your 6" Newt. has done it justice too.

Is it an f4.5 tube, or f5?. It is well attended by plenty of other

fuzzzy creatures, so perhaps the attraction has a lot to do with those too.

Anyway, tis a goodly result here mate.

Ron.:)

Archived