Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First attempt at M101 in PI

This is my first go at processing data in PI, which I have on free trial. I tried several different work flows and I'm sure it's not a case of getting right first time but you have to start somewhere! In particular the stars seem bloated but not tried anything to correct for that yet. I'd be interested to know what methods people favour.

This was the result of 30 x120s subs, darks with flats, dark flats and bias frames stacked in DSS.

pix-01.jpeg.c2be5c600af8460da98288b54712f69c.jpeg

Edited by Sarek

On 06/03/2023 at 09:44, Sarek said:

This is my first go at processing data in PI, which I have on free trial. I tried several different work flows and I'm sure it's not a case of getting right first time but you have to start somewhere! In particular the stars seem bloated but not tried anything to correct for that yet. I'd be interested to know what methods people favour.

This was the result of 30 x120s subs, darks with flats, dark flats and bias frames stacked in DSS.

pix-01.jpeg.c2be5c600af8460da98288b54712f69c.jpeg

You don't use bias and dark flats together, they do the same thing. Not that used to DSLR but I think you want to be just bias. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edarter said:

Have you got the raw stack before editing? I'll have a go and see what I can get from it. Happy to let you know the PI processes used.

Thank you - that's very generous of you. I will be really interested to see what processes you use. I've only just started using PI so keen to learn as much as I can from others.

Autosave.tif

1 hour ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

You don't use bias and dark flats together, they do the same thing. Not that used to DSLR but I think you want to be just bias. 

I didn't know that. Thanks!

• Like 1

I had a quick play with the data...

Rough process notes in the attached text file. The GAME script can be found here: http://www.skypixels.at/pixinsight_scripts.html and the EZ Processing suite repository is here: https://darkarchon.internet-box.ch:8443/

I'd recommend the Russ Croman's Xterminator plugins, but if not using them do the deconvolution in place of BlurXterminator on the luminance & not the RGB. Similarly substitute conventional noise reduction techniques & either don't bother removing stars, or use the free StarNet2.

I'm still trying to get a workflow I'm happy with using the new Xterminator tools, so the attached is a work in progress... Different images will need slightly different approaches I find.

Cheers
Ivor

PS: You may get a better result by stacking in Pixinsight rather than DSS. PI will give you a 32 bit starting point & I expect it's rejection algorithms to be better...

M101_sgl.jpg

M101 - SGL process.txt

Edited by Aramcheck
PS added
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Aramcheck said:

I had a quick play with the data...

Rough process notes in the attached text file. The GAME script can be found here: http://www.skypixels.at/pixinsight_scripts.html and the EZ Processing suite repository is here: https://darkarchon.internet-box.ch:8443/

I'd recommend the Russ Croman's Xterminator plugins, but if not using them do the deconvolution in place of BlurXterminator on the luminance & not the RGB. Similarly substitute conventional noise reduction techniques & either don't bother removing stars, or use the free StarNet2.

I'm still trying to get a workflow I'm happy with using the new Xterminator tools, so the attached is a work in progress... Different images will need slightly different approaches I find.

Cheers
Ivor

PS: You may get a better result by stacking in Pixinsight rather than DSS. PI will give you a 32 bit starting point & I expect it's rejection algorithms to be better...

M101 - SGL process.txt 3.32 kB · 1 download

Thank you so much Ivor - that's brilliant! This has given me so much to work on. I will certainly have a go at stacking in PI and getting hold of more scripts - the only ones I already have are the EZ suite.