Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Edmund Scientific new 100 degree eyepiece

Doc

Interesting ....

It's a lot heavier than the Ethos equivilent - I wonder if thats due to glass or body construction ?.

It's not difficult to make a 100 degree eyepiece - but it is diffcult to make one that is sharp to the edge of the field in fast focal ratio scopes.

John

Thats a good one Zog.

What is the purpose of it being waterproof. For starters astronomers don't observe in or on water. Soon as it rains my scope and eyepieces are in doors or undercover.

I cannot see the point.

I would have guessed the waterproofing was for bird-watchers except that the advert specifies astronomy. All you need is a waterproof scope to go with it and it sounds a useful feature if you feel like sitting in the rain all night hoping for a gap in the clouds.

Still, 100 degree field sounds pretty impressive.

Does "nitrogen purged" have any advantages for astronomy use (whatever it means) ?

I suppose it shows that Tele Vue have probably not outrageously overpriced the Ethos range - this new one's normal price is listed at $500.

John

Archived