Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 improvement

Rodd

A bit of success in my long range goal of processing this data set to its fullest potential.  I revisit it periodically and if my processing skills have improved, the image usually does as well0--though the increments are getting smaller and smaller.  Still, the results are noticeable, from slight resolution gains in the galaxy to a smoother background.  I have included my last image so the improvement can be seen.  I think there may still be a smidgeon of sharpness left to reveal in the data set.

TOA 130 with ASI 1600-HaLRGB.  About 24 hours, Bin1

New

z2r2.thumb.jpg.c8253797b4352cff5db9637f92de5395.jpg

Old

ABInFinal.thumb.jpg.b8f349c128c8c05b1a5fb543d6480ae2.jpg

• Like 14

23 hours ago, Smiller said:

Very nice M51.   Wow, 24 hours!… that is dedication!

Thanks S.  In my sky, allot of integration is needed.  Not so much for bright targets like galaxies--but for the background--and noise.

I think the fine detail in this is tremendous. Simple as that. Great colour and contrast, too.

I know you don't image from a dark site, Rodd, so I don't know what's possible for you in the background sky and faint nebulosity. Might there be any way to let the black point up a bit? I really don't know. But the bright stuff is great.

Olly

5 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I think the fine detail in this is tremendous. Simple as that. Great colour and contrast, too.

I know you don't image from a dark site, Rodd, so I don't know what's possible for you in the background sky and faint nebulosity. Might there be any way to let the black point up a bit? I really don't know. But the bright stuff is great.

Olly

Thanks Olly.  The background always gives me trouble.  I try to keep the numbers at .6 or .7, but due to LP, it is very hard to get it even. So it’s probably closer to .3-.4. I think RCs noise exterminator helps. I am getting a feel for it.   How about this one. I lifted the black point slightly

6F59BF8F-6147-4FFC-B28B-67F8EFA85277.thumb.jpeg.1ad90ce159c1d13dba790cbf354efeec.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks Sarek.  I have learned that our equipment is capable of astounding definition.  I wish I could use it to its full potential. Imagine shooting in Bortle 1 in a transparent sky with 5/5 seeing from 12,000 feet with a perfectly calibrated mount, a thermally stable optic below the freezing point of water, and a live focus mechanism that ensures perfect focus 100% of the time.  And a back illuminated sensor, of corse