Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Might have gone a bit OTT with the Vixen collection.

Franklin

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

but not at the cost of rejecting other makes of kit,

I have a couple of Skywatcher 6x30 finders and some Baader filters, so I am not entirely a 100% Vixen purist🙂.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Franklin said:

I have a couple of Skywatcher 6x30 finders and some Baader filters, so I am not entirely a 100% Vixen purist🙂.

Really, how could you do that 😉😉 Go hide those finders straight away!

Keep the filters though as not seen Vixen filters other than a immediately binned solar one.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Really, how could you do that 😉😉 Go hide those finders straight away!

Keep the filters though as not seen Vixen filters other than a immediately binned solar one.

The Vixen 7x50 illuminated reticle finder is really good but unfortunately "straight through" and I just can't use it. The SW 6x30 right angled finders work very well and I prefer them. I do have a set Vixen colour filters from back in the day but they don't get used, the Vixen ND filter is quite nice though. Not really a filter user, my Baader ones are an ND0.9, UHC-S, OIII and Neodymium, but they don't get used much to be honest. My most used filter is the Baader SC with the Lunt wedge.

• Like 1

I really fancy the VMC110L. A Mak that sits between the ubiquitous 102 and 127. I really wish more manufacturers would look at that point. 

Mind you I suppose a 5" Schmidt cassegrain meets my desire for a bit more aperture than a 102 but not the focal length of the 127.... But outside of a C5 what to choose... 

• Like 1

I must admit that I have benefitted from some of Tim's cast-offs!

Was watching an apparently rare Vixen 120S on a Japanese auction site last week - but thought better of risking trying to get it delivered to the UK!

• Like 1

On 08/03/2023 at 15:00, Pixies said:

Was watching an apparently rare Vixen 120S on a Japanese auction site last week - but thought better of risking trying to get it delivered to the UK!

Japan auctions are great if you're looking for a "hard to find" eyepiece or something that is small but of high value. With scopes and mounts you'll get clobbered with the shipping costs big style, which is a shame because there's some incredible kit on there. 

Edited by Franklin

On 07/03/2023 at 19:04, Marc1964 said:

I really fancy the VMC110L.

This is a scope from Vixens starter line-up. Not really a Vixen but made in China, unlike the VMC200 and VC200 which are Vixen Japan made. I had one for a while and it was a nice little grab and go scope and the optics were very good. The internal flip-mirror design is a nice idea but unfortunately it caused some collimation issues when in the 90deg position.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Franklin said:

This is a scope from Vixens starter line-up. Not really a Vixen but made in China, unlike the VMC200 and VC200 which are Vixen Japan made. I had one for a while and it was a nice little grab and go scope and the optics were very good. The internal flip-mirror design is a nice idea but unfortunately it caused some collimation issues when in the 90deg position.

Well one day I may find one in good nick at a less than extortionate price! 

24 minutes ago, Marc1964 said:

Well one day I may find one in good nick at a less than extortionate price! 

Yes, I don't think they're worth what they retailed for, Vixen charge silly prices and you can get a similar scope from the likes of Skywatcher and others for far less. I practically gave mine away, under £50 I think but it did have a few cosmetic scars. There's one on the Japan auctions right now, probably go for a bit more than what it says plus shipping.

Web capture_10-3-2023_19445_buyee.jp.jpeg

Edited by Franklin
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Franklin said:

Yes, I don't think they're worth what they retailed for, Vixen charge silly prices and you can get a similar scope from the likes of Skywatcher and others for far less. I practically gave mine away, under £50 I think but it did have a few cosmetic scars. There's one on the Japan auctions right now, probably go for a bit more than what it says plus shipping.

Web capture_10-3-2023_19445_buyee.jp.jpeg

I don't suppose you could insert a link to the Japan Auction please? Thanks! 

I dread to think what the import taxes would be but... 

24 minutes ago, Marc1964 said:

I don't suppose you could insert a link to the Japan Auction please? Thanks! 

I dread to think what the import taxes would be but... 

Just google "Buyee" and it's the "Yahoo auctions" then search for Vixen VMC110, should still come up if it's still running. There would be no import charges only the Buyee fee for packing, checking and insurance which is 1000yen (about £6.50) and the shipping (guesstimate £40 for something that size and weight). So you'd probably be looking at about £50 on top of whatever it sold for. You have to register and open an account using PP or your card. Nothing dodgy about any of it and i've used it a lot and think it's an amazing service, far better than Ebay and the delivery times from Japan are unbelievably quick.

• Like 1

Just had a look myself, 19 bidders and at £75 now with 3 hrs left on the auction. Bet it will end at around £120. If it did it would end up costing around £170 which is quite high imo.

Vixen VMC110L 鏡筒のみ /【Buyee】 "Buyee" Japanese Proxy Service | Buy from Japan! bot-online

Edited by Franklin
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Just had a look myself, 19 bidders and at £75 now with 3 hrs left on the auction. Bet it will end at around £120. If it did it would end up costing around £170 which is quite high imo.

Vixen VMC110L 鏡筒のみ /【Buyee】 "Buyee" Japanese Proxy Service | Buy from Japan! bot-online

Just taken a look and yes would be quite high. I will lurk on this site for a bit and see what comes up in the future. Thanks for the guidance! 

• Like 1

On 11/03/2023 at 09:37, Marc1964 said:

Just taken a look and yes would be quite high. I will lurk on this site for a bit and see what comes up in the future. Thanks for the guidance! 

It's very good for eyepieces and smaller items. Pretty much all my LVWs and SLVs have come from here - at around £50-£80 each.

Be aware, if a 17mm LVW ever comes up on it, I will be bidding!

Note though. If you buy from a retailer on the site, or the value is significant (over £100 say) you are much more likely to end up paying import duties / VAT. I'd estimate I've been landed an extra bill from DHL about 20% of the time. If you are getting a few things and accept their offer to combine into one single parcel, it always seems to get caught.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pixies said:

If you are getting a few things and accept their offer to combine into one single parcel, it always seems to get caught.

Package consolidation, no thanks!

Protective packaging is another one to avoid. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

New member here and I cannot help commenting on Franklin's pic: I am afraid I suffer from the same condition, and your collection is a true inspiration! I have a lovely little Advanced Polaris, an APZ for even more grab'n'go and an SD81S. They are my most treasured pieces of astro-kit, especially the AP and the SD81S. I am now basically only considering Vixen stuff for my GAS plans. I'd like a 4-5" apo, and am on the lookout for a well-loved ED/SD103S or ED/SD115S. I'm also starting to want Vixen quality in my larger GoTo mount (currently a very nice and serviceable HEQ5 Pro), and I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a 2nd generation Sphinx mount. Meanwhile, if a nice old SP or GP comes on the market, or a R200SS, I might not be able to resist… So my hope is to go down that path ;D

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

I was offered an ED130SS in response to a ‘wanted’ ad a couple of months ago. I didn’t go for it in the end as it was located in Italy, and after import charges etc would have been more than I wanted to pay. I’d be happy to put you in touch with the chap who replied to my ad?

I love old ‘Vixen green’ kit. I regret selling an ED114SS a couple of years ago, but did manage to re-acquire my FL80S last year, nearly 15 years after swapping it with a friend, via a third owner. Lovely, sharp optics, and really portable. Keeps up with my Tak 76DCU.

Richard

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Richard said:

I was offered an ED130SS in response to a ‘wanted’ ad a couple of months ago. I didn’t go for it in the end as it was located in Italy, and after import charges etc would have been more than I wanted to pay. I’d be happy to put you in touch with the chap who replied to my ad?

I love old ‘Vixen green’ kit. I regret selling an ED114SS a couple of years ago, but did manage to re-acquire my FL80S last year, nearly 15 years after swapping it with a friend, via a third owner. Lovely, sharp optics, and really portable. Keeps up with my Tak 76DCU.

Richard

If I may ask, and if the OP does not express an interest, could you provide the contacts in case you think the scope is still up for sale? I am in Italy and would jump on the occasion!