SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SNR G206.9+2.3 in Monoceros

gorann

This is a very rarely imaged and quite weak Supernova remnant a bit east of the Rosette Nebula. It was shot in the morning of March 2nd under 70% moon, which is not the best for Oiii, and seeing was quite bad that night. Still my dual-RASA rig picked it up (it cannot for example be seen in DSS2 images on Aladin Sky Atlas). I was using the NBZ filter on one RASA and the Oiii filter on the other.

I was just pointed at a German site with some info about it: https://forum.astronomie.de/threads/14-woche-der-supernovarest-g206-9-2-3-im-einhorn.286227/

Dual RASA8 with ASI2600MC on Mesu200. 51x5 min IDAS NBZ (Ha+Oiii) and 51 x 5 min Oiii (Baader Hi-speed). So 8.5 hours in total. Processed in PI and PS including all the XTerminators.

Cheers, Göran

20230227-0301 SNR Monoc RASA1+2 PS11smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, tomato said:

Never seen this one before, I would call it the Embryo Nebula.

Looking close in it has some red filaments which are separate to the background Ha?

Or Dividing Cell Nebula? Yes, I see at least one rather clear Ha filament that lines up with the Oiii filaments.

14 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Wonderfully ethereal planetary.

Olly

Thanks Olly! It shows that there are still a few rarely imaged gems out there. I am sure it would be even more ethereal on a moonless night with a more steady sky. My RSM was around 1.5" that night, while it is usually between 0.5 and 1.0".

• Like 1