SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Question about my Star Watcher EQ3-2 mount

Hi,

I've just got my first "proper" 'scope, a Skywatcher 150pl and EQ3-2 equatorial mount.

With everything done up as tight as I can there's still a little bit of give and springyness in the mount. Is this normal? I'd kind of expected it to be absolutely rock-solid when locked in position, but was I expecting too much?20230302_153845.thumb.jpg.ca44694baf2b9adffd794fd92d61d832.jpg

Also, this was in the box with the mount and I can't find anywhere to put it. It's made of metal, about 2" diameter and has a thread underneath.  Any ideas?

Thanks

• Like 1

Hi @Samop

Your combo is what made me fall down the rabbit hole of astronomy, but I also realized soon that the EQ3-2 was not enough for that payload, specially at high magnifications. However it served me for learning how to setup and align an equatorial mount. In a few months I upgraded the mount with the GOTO Kit (RA and DEC motors) and later jumped into the astrophotography league with the EQ6-R Pro: a game changer and a bank account drainer. 
I hope you enjoy this hobby and wish you many clear nights!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Is any that has an EQ3-2 able to answer my original question, which was:

with everything done up as tight as I can there's still a little bit of give and springyness in the mount. Is this normal? I'd kind of expected it to be absolutely rock-solid when locked in position, but

Hmm, not actually sure. Without the counterbalance weights it's not heavy so it probably is aluminium.

Some of the movement seems to come from the "head" rather than from the legs flexing.

So, even though for me it was a bit pricey, you get what you pay for.

Might help if you can actually show a video or illustrate where the issue is. When I had my 3-2 it was rock solid (for a 60mm refractor), and I also installed the additional RA and DEC motors onto it afterward.

On 02/03/2023 at 15:57, Samop said:

Hi,

I've just got my first "proper" 'scope, a Skywatcher 150pl and EQ3-2 equatorial mount.

With everything done up as tight as I can there's still a little bit of give and springyness in the mount. Is this normal? I'd kind of expected it to be absolutely rock-solid when locked in position, but was I expecting too much?

Hard to comment as "springyness" is such a technical term that's hard to quantify.  If you mean if you lock both clutches there is play in one or both axis then that sounds more like too much backlash in the worm, which you can adjust out.  On the other hand you are referring to movement or flexure in the tripod the there is little you can do other then replace the tripod, which I don't recall being an option on that mount.

If you can upload a video to youtube and then link to it demonstrating the issue as requested above that would be great 

if you have the aluminium tripod you could also fill the legs with concrete, makes a rather unstable tripod very stable :grin:   also see this thread on CN, but beware some of these ideas (especially the ones involving concrete) if you still want to be able to pick up your tripod. 

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/117633-stiffening-an-aluminum-tripod/

Edited by Astronomist

22 hours ago, Astronomist said:

...... you could also fill the legs with concrete.....

Probably easier to concrete the tripod into place in my garden, then it's NEVER going to move 🤣.

When I get a mo during the daytime I'll do a short video to show what I'm talking about.

Edited by Samop