Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Ireland!

Bogmonster

Thanks @Nicola Fletcher! Much appreciated.

There are lots of forestry roads leading to lots of clearings that would be perfect, but they all have gates on them unfortunately. I'll have a look at Glendalough and the Sugarloaf too. I think meeting fellow stargazers and learning that way would be very helpful too, I might have a look at Irish Astronomy Week and Midlands Astronomy. Thanks!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Thanks @Nicola Fletcher! Much appreciated.

There are lots of forestry roads leading to lots of clearings that would be perfect, but they all have gates on them unfortunately. I'll have a look at Glendalough and the Sugarloaf too. I think meeting fellow stargazers and learning that way would be very helpful too, I might have a look at Irish Astronomy Week and Midlands Astronomy. Thanks!

I know - it’s difficult when you want to get your car to sites and there are gates. Definitely check out the Sugarloaf car park, and I’m sure there are places around Glendalough that would be suitable. 
Hopefully we can meet some Irish SGL’ers in person at some stage at an event!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

Hi @Jasonb, I know a group meet at the Sugarloaf car park sometimes, and Glendalough is another lovely place. I’m in the fortunate position of having a small farm with great views so I tend not to travel unless meeting with others.

I have rented cottages in Wexford with lovely dark skies and of course the west is another fantastic destination (there are a couple of sample photos below).

@Bogmonster, the Irish Astronomy Week is coming up this month and has loads of events -  see https://www.irishastronomyweek.ie. I’m also a member of the Irish Astronomical Society. There are several clubs around the country and the midlands astronomy club is having their COSMOS star party on 25th March which I’ll be going to - see https://midlandsastronomy.ie/cosmos-2023.

Hope this is useful!

C4F87399-31FE-44ED-9A54-32E006D5B1D9.jpeg

AA229499-CDB9-4089-B345-A89B29798150.jpeg

Are your rentals both wheelchair and dog friendly?

Looks amazing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Are your rentals both wheelchair and dog friendly?

Looks amazing. 

Yes re. dog friendly - I bring my poodle on all my trips away so that is an essential feature!

Some places would be wheelchair friendly - especially bungalows. I suppose it’s just a matter of checking with the owner before booking 😊

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

Hello from Kildare. Dublin born and bred, but in Kildare for 9 yrs now. 

Another Dublin-born blow in to Naas here (though I'm 21 years here now!). Whereabouts do you observe from in Kildare, anywhere with decently dark skies?

Edited by Jasonb
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

That would be great!

Well, I just booked my ticket for Cosmos 2023, my first Astronomy event. Would be great to meet some Irish SGL members on the day.

And @Bogmonster, apologies for hijacking your thread so much, I had no idea there were a few of us Irish Astronomers on here! :)

Edited by Jasonb
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jasonb said:

Another Dublin-born blow in to Naas here (though I'm 21 years here now!). Whereabouts do you observe from in Kildare, anywhere with decently dark skies?

I'm in Maynooth. I'm about 5 minutes walk from the Meath border. I'm surrounded by open countryside, so I'm spoiled for dark skies.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Nicola Fletcher said:

Yes re. dog friendly - I bring my poodle on all my trips away so that is an essential feature!

Some places would be wheelchair friendly - especially bungalows. I suppose it’s just a matter of checking with the owner before booking 😊

Oh OK. I thought you owned a few rentals. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I'm in Maynooth. I'm about 5 minutes walk from the Meath border. I'm surrounded by open countryside, so I'm spoiled for dark skies.

Excellent, you're spoiled then! I'm in the middle of Naas and surrounded by street lights and house lights! 🙄

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Me too! Anyone else going to Cosmos 2023 and fancy a mini SGL get together?

I took a look at the details, is there an actual star party planned with people bringing scopes etc or is it mainly talks?

• Like 2

On 04/03/2023 at 06:28, Nicola Fletcher said:

Hi @Jasonb, I know a group meet at the Sugarloaf car park sometimes, and Glendalough is another lovely place. I’m in the fortunate position of having a small farm with great views so I tend not to travel unless meeting with others.

I have rented cottages in Wexford with lovely dark skies and of course the west is another fantastic destination (there are a couple of sample photos below).

@Bogmonster, the Irish Astronomy Week is coming up this month and has loads of events -  see https://www.irishastronomyweek.ie. I’m also a member of the Irish Astronomical Society. There are several clubs around the country and the midlands astronomy club is having their COSMOS star party on 25th March which I’ll be going to - see https://midlandsastronomy.ie/cosmos-2023.

Hope this is useful!

C4F87399-31FE-44ED-9A54-32E006D5B1D9.jpeg

AA229499-CDB9-4089-B345-A89B29798150.jpeg

Thank you! I had no idea of those websites. Lots to look through there so.

Nice setup you got there too 🤤

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Muc said:

I took a look at the details, is there an actual star party planned with people bringing scopes etc or is it mainly talks?

It looks like there are talks etc. during the day, but this line suggests a star party too (weather permitting of course):

"This Venue also provides us with a Dark Sky for observing as it is close to Lough Boora Bog with little or no light pollution so please feel free to bring a Telescope."

• Like 1

On 04/03/2023 at 06:28, Nicola Fletcher said:

the Irish Astronomy Week is coming up this month and has loads of events -  see https://www.irishastronomyweek.ie. I’m also a member of the Irish Astronomical Society. There are several clubs around the country and the midlands astronomy club is having their COSMOS star party on 25th March which I’ll be going to - see https://midlandsastronomy.ie/cosmos-2023.

Thanks @Nicola Fletcher for bringing COSMOS up! I hadn't come across this before. Will take a look at the diary, and the forecast! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...