Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet: C/2023 A3 (Tsuchinshan-ATLAS)

Pixies

35 minutes ago, Nyctimene said:

Was not able to find the comet listed in my SkySafari Pro 6.0 -?

Stephan

It was in v7 - pro.

However, I just checked v6 (plus) and it's there. I did a search for "C/2023":

image.png.21667c8c4bdea1db152f1c7b13e3fd82.png

• Like 1

Thank you, Pixies.

Did the same research, and SkySafari 6 Pro shows me just the other three objects, C/2023 A 3 still missing. Have to recheck on my older smartphone, with SkySafari 4 Plus.

Stephan

5 minutes ago, Nyctimene said:

Thank you, Pixies.

Did the same research, and SkySafari 6 Pro shows me just the other three objects, C/2023 A 3 still missing. Have to recheck on my older smartphone, with SkySafari 4 Plus.

Stephan

Ok now; found the solution - the solar system small bodies ephemerides had not been actualized for two days; now the comet is in the database.

• Like 1

I'm still looking forward to the first SGL member images of this wee beastie. Seems like an age since that last comet, what was it called? 🤣

Let's get this party started...

I'd hoped for a break in this permanent cloud over the last week while I've been off work.. :(

15 hours ago, Paul M said:

I'm still looking forward to the first SGL member images of this wee beastie. Seems like an age since that last comet, what was it called? 🤣

Let's get this party started...

I'd hoped for a break in this permanent cloud over the last week while I've been off work.. :(

Mag 18, that is going to take more glass than my 8"!

But yes, I'm anxiously waiting!

• Haha 1

Looks like another miss (mostly) for northern astronomers, its under the horizon or daytime at the closest pass. Late october might work ok if it stays intact after the periapsis pass and the brightness estimates are to be believed.

• 3 weeks later...
On 05/03/2023 at 09:58, Mr Magoo said:

Just added C/2023 A3 to Stellarium, my easy goto star atlas :)

@Mr Magoo, would you be so kind to tell me how this was possible? In the MPC, I'm not finding orbital elements yet for this comet. I wonder what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

6 hours ago, emeraldhills said:

@Mr Magoo, would you be so kind to tell me how this was possible? In the MPC, I'm not finding orbital elements yet for this comet. I wonder what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Hi, the instructions for adding a comet to Stellarium can be found here https://blog.martinbelan.com/2020/07/09/how-to-add-a-comet-to-stellarium/ . Screen snips are included which make this a very useful guide.

On 24/03/2023 at 05:34, Mr Magoo said:

Hi, the instructions for adding a comet to Stellarium can be found here https://blog.martinbelan.com/2020/07/09/how-to-add-a-comet-to-stellarium/ . Screen snips are included which make this a very useful guide.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh thanks. This way, I didn't have to put in the "Tschshinshan," which is dropped in the nomenclature importing into Stellarium Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my first image of C/2023A3(Tsuchinshan-ATLAS) .

Taken April 02/03. My image superimposed on the relevant field in HNSKY

image.thumb.png.ab246a7430568414585ebd20a2f2a2fb.png

Oh, hold on, I missed it!!

No idea what went on there. 😳 

• 2 months later...
On 24/03/2023 at 09:34, Mr Magoo said:

Stellarium shortcut

Open Stellarium

Click anywhere in the window to make it active

Hold down Ctrl + Alt then press S

This will take you straight to bullet point 5 'Click on Import orbital elements in MPC format' from the blog above

Saves going through the configuration menu on the left side of the Stellarium main window.

Edited by Mr Magoo