SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Setting up Pegasus Powerbox Micro???!!!????

This should be easy but it isn't, and Pegasus' set up guide is worse than useless.

I have a remote PC set up and I have downloaded various softwares as below

Screenshot2023-03-01at20-57-07PocketPowerboxMicro.png.d378e1f1bd24bd65b5514737a3b3b93b.png

There is no guide to what needs to be installed here. No step by step guide, nada, apart from this (last line).

Screenshot2023-03-01at21-17-45PPBMICRO_quick_installation_guide_pdf.png.e5fcebed35d1f49e19022ec7a088b7ca.png

I have extracted the Pocket Powerbox Setup and this loads up on screen. I have extracted and installed the switch driver and Observing conditions driver. I have NOT downloaded the Unity Platform

When I run the Powerbox set up and try to connect the Powerbox from the console, I get a 'Device not found'  message and the console shows no connection. Looking under device manager there appears to be no driver for the Micro 

PB.jpg.b0596e22413f57e23e717f1437b4ba65.jpg

I have a 12V supply and PC connection to the PB, the green light is on and no warning blinks so looks like it has booted up no issues.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? Do I need to install this Unity platform to be able to use the PBM? Or can I download a driver somewhere?

Edited by 900SL

The Powerbox has a built-in FTDI chip and connects to the PC in a similar way to a mount. You will need to find the correct COM port in the device manager before trying to control it with the software.

Thanks KP. I installed the Unity Platform in the end and now it connects no problem.

Rather a neat gizmo, I can power camera, PC, AAP,, dew heaters and the temperature and humidity sensor should extend my battery life a bit.

I might run a feed to the mount too, I'm well within the amp limits. Having the power consumption numbers and battery voltage is useful too.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've been looking at these boxes and then I find that, to power the box itself, I need a Pegasus power supply!! £59!!! I'm getting a little tired of these bloody rip offs everywhere you look within Astro circles! But people pay it!! So they'll keep charging it!

6 minutes ago, Mark2022 said:

I've been looking at these boxes and then I find that, to power the box itself, I need a Pegasus power supply!! £59!!! I'm getting a little tired of these bloody rip offs everywhere you look within Astro circles! But people pay it!! So they'll keep charging it!

I am sure that any 12 - 13.8 volt supply will do just fine. 

Adam 

• Like 1

I use a bench power supply bought from FLO a few years ago. At least at home. At starparties, it's possible to use campsite power by getting a multi socket strip that's ok for outside and an external extension lead. A 12 volt fridge adapter steps the voltage down to 12 volt. I also have a waterproof box to make sure any connections stay dry.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Adam J said:

I am sure that any 12 - 13.8 volt supply will do just fine. 

Adam 

Probably Adam but, if anything went wrong with the box, my bet is they would say it was due to not using their power supply.  Warranty voided.

16 minutes ago, Mark2022 said:

Probably Adam but, if anything went wrong with the box, my bet is they would say it was due to not using their power supply.  Warranty voided.

I don't think that would be the case. The big risk with their kit is putting the power supply into one of the output instead of the input, very little to go wrong apart from that. Certainly on balance of risk I would not be paying £60 for a low capacity power supply. Also if buying from FLO I would be shocked if you got treated like that.  

Adam

Edited by Adam J

I used a cheaper 12v 5a PSU with a Pocket Powerbox Advanced and it worked fine. I did end up getting the Pegasus PSU because one came up second hand on here and they are rated at 10amps, plus the wires on the cheaper one I had were starting to break where they come out of the box. 

As for void warranty, it would be hard for Pegasus to void it on the PSU you used, as long as you use one with the recommended polarity, voltage & amps. If they supplied the PSU with the Pocket Power Box, and you chose not use it, then it may be a different story, but they don't, so they leave it up you to get the PSU. ;)