SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter and Venus conjunction - 1st March

IB20

Miraculously the rain stopped and clouds parted to reveal Jupiter and Venus adjacent one another. Grabbed the 15 x 70 bins and the 76mm for a super quick view. 
Used my 17.5mm Morpheus which fit both planets into a single frame, at the edges though! The banding on Jupiter looked fantastic even at a paltry 55x, super sharp, 3 moons visible to one side of the planet . Venus despite some thermal currents looked like a pearlescent white disc. Tried taking a quick phone snap but the Morpheus doesn’t really do afocal images, then clouds quickly rolled in and the rain has returned. 
Might have only been for 5 minutes but it was spectacular.

D75A9957-06D2-4F16-B700-39C2C1439870.jpeg

• Like 6

I've just seen it naked eye through a gap in the clouds, it looked like 2 airplanes coming in to land one behing the other, but its too cloudy/rainy here to get a scope on it.

Just managed this here with my wife's compact digital at 20x optical zoom at around 18:30 hrs. The planets were separated by around 40 arc minutes at the time of this shot. Solid cloud mostly though, just got a lucky clear patch in the right place.

No photo description available.

• Like 4

Glad you got to see it. Great views here too. @IB20 I assume you were using the 76Q? I had the 100DC out and the 17.5 Morpheus did a great job, with room to spare so it felt quite comfortable. Quick snap here, posted elsewhere as well.

DDF0E1BD-5E5E-4273-895F-E4C271171625.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Glad you got to see it. Great views here too. @IB20 I assume you were using the 76Q? I had the 100DC out and the 17.5 Morpheus did a great job, with room to spare so it felt quite comfortable. Quick snap here, posted elsewhere as well.

DDF0E1BD-5E5E-4273-895F-E4C271171625.jpeg

Yep, the 76Q, it seems to have kept in that configuration since the extension arrived 😃.  
Was clouded out for the great Saturn & Jupiter conjunction so it was nice to bag this one, albeit briefly! It has been fascinating watching the two planets move ever closer these last few weeks too.

Great snap as ever, I have real trouble using the phone and Morpheus together and have to hover above the eye up. Whereas I find the XWs are perfect with the eye guard extended all the way out for resting the phone on.

Edited by IB20
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, IB20 said:

Great snap as ever, I have real trouble using the phone and Morpheus together and have to hover above the eye up. Whereas I find the XWs are perfect with the eye guard extended all the way out for resting the phone on.

Do you have the eye guard extension fitted to the Morpheus? That helps a bit. I found it much easier than the Nagler which is very sensitive to placement of both eye and camera.

I wonder, does the extender module push eye relief out in the same way a Barlow does? I’m really not sure but that could also be making it more difficult?

It has been great watching these two, with the Moon joining in too at times, I agree 👍

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Do you have the eye guard extension fitted to the Morpheus? That helps a bit. I found it much easier than the Nagler which is very sensitive to placement of both eye and camera.

I wonder, does the extender module push eye relief out in the same way a Barlow does? I’m really not sure but that could also be making it more difficult?

Bit of a facepalm moment this one, had no idea an extension was hidden in the box. I’ve screwed it on and it looks about the right plane I was hovering, so will give it a try next opportunity. I was started to have thoughts about selling it for non-phone compatibility too. 🤦🏼‍♂️😅😅

• Haha 1