SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Insert - Removal tool(s) for 2 inch filters in tight spaces

fwm891

Anyone know of a tool for insertion/removal of 2 inch filters from restricted spaces ie inside adapters etc... I've just got a ZWO - Nikon adapter that takes 2 inch filters but almost impossible to insert a filter or remove it without getting finger marks on the filter glass.

I doubt I'm the first with this problem but even the big G doesn't give any clues?

I can insert a filter with a 48mm extn tube but its getting traction on the filter to remove it that's the problem.... an 'O' ring?

@globular Thanks. Not quite what I was thinking. I'm wanting to get to the top rim of the filter to insert it inside (or remove from) an adapter. When I typed 'O' ring above a thought immediately crossed my mind - see attached sketch/drg

Essentially a 48mm extension tube with the 488mm thread removed (or partially removed) and replaced with an O ring bonded in place against the shoulder of the extension tube. The remainder of the threaded portion goes inside the filter acting as a guide whilst the O ring makes contact with the filter rim with enough grip to allow the filter to be either inserted or removed keeping fingers well clear.

If that makes sense?

O-ring filter adapter.jpg

I'd probably change the above adapter (Modified extension tube) so it sits outside the filter's rim thereby avoiding any contact with the filter glass. Which will mean making a tube just over 2 inch in diameter to sit over the filter rim with an internal shoulder to hold the O ring.

See drg...

O-ring filter adapter Mk-II.jpg

Edited by fwm891
Drg added

This looks like the sort of thing 3d printing could easily fix.  How long a body does it need to have?

I recently went through a similar thought process with the cases for my 1.25" filters.  I also just got a 2" filter so it needs to have a case designed for it too.

My idea would be to make it reasonably snug fitting with something like flocking around the outside and craft foam/thin rubber sheet on the base to keep it secure whilst fitting and provide friction respectively .  I'd probably go for cuts down the side so you can slide the filter in/out easily.  I only say sheet over o-ring because it's easier to design.

Basically the attached but without the wings (so it's a cylinder), sized for a 2" filter, long enough to fit into you assembly and with the filter threads exposed.

PXL_20230114_130628873.jpg

Edited by Ratlet
Tidy up

How about another filter, a cheapo and effectively disposable one, reversed so the crenellated rings meet each other, and with a lump of something epoxied to one side to provide purchase? Or perhaps thread-locked to a nosepiece if you don’t fancy destroying a filter

Edited by Captain Scarlet