SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Venus clouds in UV and IR (27/2/23)

Kon

I have finally managed to capture some of the upper clouds in Venus using a UV and IR pass filter. I am really grateful to Craig @CraigT82 for posting me his mono camera last week to try with my filters. That is so kind of somebody that has never met me before. My asi did not give me anything meaningful last week in UV.  I used the Astromania filters and they seem to be good value for money (I will try write a report on them at some point). Enough with the intro. The mono camera allowed me to capture the UV clouds. Seeing was awful with boiling effects. The IR faired better. Again from personal experience I found that my asi was giving me better clouds. The technical details:  8" Dob, manual tracking, 2.5x TV powermate, Altair Astro GPCAM 290M for UV and asi462mc for the IR. Filters from Astromania. I also made a false colour composite as RGB: IR=R IR+UV=G UV=B. Happy for feedback and criticism. 

image.png.d260008bf80320e6056a8752f6ecad65.pngimage.png.86a3ad494007f49a611eea686de984e3.pngimage.png.67ca949ee242f11e088a3eaecdb4c00b.png 

• Like 7

Great work Kostas 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻. So pleased to e camera is working well for you (in the UV at least!).

Still quite small now at 12” but it’s going to keep getting bigger over the next few months as the phase wanes. I think max elongation (when 50% of the disc will be illuminated) is in June and it will be over 20” then so I’m looking forward to the detail you get then.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Great work Kostas 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻. So pleased to e camera is working well for you (in the UV at least!).

Still quite small now at 12” but it’s going to keep getting bigger over the next few months as the phase wanes. I think max elongation (when 50% of the disc will be illuminated) is in June and it will be over 20” then so I’m looking forward to the detail you get then.

Thanks again for the camera. Yes very pleased with the first attempt. Looking forward to the summer session without the freezing cold.

31 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Terrific result Kostas! Craig's mono cam has unlocked the UV and I don't see any ghosting?

Thanks Stuart. There is a bit of ghosting but not too severe at all. During post processing it is hardly noticeable. When I am back at my laptop I will send you an image after stacking to see how it looks.

Ps I had really bad ghosting on my asi but I used a high gain with a lower exposure with the mono. I want to repeat with my asi under similar settings. 

Edited by Kon
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Kon said:

Thanks Stuart. There is a bit of ghosting but not too severe at all. During post processing it is hardly noticeable. When I am back at my laptop I will send you an image after stacking to see how it looks.

Ps I had really bad ghosting on my asi but I used a high gain with a lower exposure with the mono. I want to repeat with my asi under similar settings. 

That will be interesting to see.  Certainly a bargain filter!

• Like 1