Narrowband

Aurora - UK Tonight Feb 26th

Gfamily

8 minutes ago, Gfamily said:

It's being reported that Aurorae are being seen as far south as Oxford - and maybe more. 

It's cloudy where we are, so if you get images, do share... 

Here you go, although I'm a bit further North:

• Like 6

Here's a few I got earlier.  Please bear mind my DSLR is about 18 years old and not very good in poor light! My daughter's is much nicer, but it was out of charge!

My neighbour's mobile phone was getting better pictures! I need to get a new phone....

But even with the naked eye, you could see the green - and the skies here are hardly dark. It was great to see the columns suddenly reach up into the sky!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

• Like 14

Caught it on my all sky camera. A moving red patch in the north-northwest for a few minutes from 21:43. Possibly some green afterwards.

Images are not good enough to share thanks to local light pollution, but can definitely see it moving in the video version

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Mognet said:

Caught it on my all sky camera. A moving red patch in the north-northwest for a few minutes from 21:43. Possibly some green afterwards.

Images are not good enough to share thanks to local light pollution, but can definitely see it moving in the video version

Good to know anyway. Thanks for the update - still overcast here.

Just arrived back home from an imaging trip, not in the UK mind you, but we had the same Aurora but i would imagine a bit stronger as i am at 60N. These were by far the strongest i have ever seen, i could see these vibrant green curtains dance in real time across enormous swathes of the sky including at the zenith and south! Occasionally some pillars of green light appeared as if out of nowhere and disappeared, as if there was some kind of celestial bombardment of light. I now understand where all the mythology of getting smitten or struck by something from the sky comes from! We had naked eye very obviously red Aurora too, which is a first as well. Typically only seen that through a camera, but this time it was like the sky was on fire. Funnily enough it ended up ruining a bunch of subs i was taking, but this type of ruining of the images is acceptable i suppose. Aurora gradient, hah, take that light pollution gradients!

Some crummy out of focus shots with a shaking hand and a phone (was actually rather difficult to image, as the direction of the lightshow was everywhere, and i was busy trying to pick the pieces of my jaw off the ground):

20230226_231310.thumb.jpg.ccdd0dfbe58a22b1427df150b233b132.jpg

20230227_001821.thumb.jpg.7caf9516c88c536cff2b5e93dd7f6d60.jpg20230227_010542.thumb.jpg.b74eadb8394294c072d652a7b69f7b92.jpg

20230227_010806.thumb.jpg.437927ad0eae90a4f609c65ede32e4db.jpg

• Like 13

3 hours ago, scotty1 said:

First time I've been able to report aurora on camera to the Glendale app. How do you add photos to the gallery on the app? 

There should be an upload option on your phone - if you have a a picture on a camera, people tend to take a picture of the camera LCD display showing the photo!

I find the Glendale app really useful for checking whether people are actually seeing aurora, but recently I am not so sure about the accuracy of reporting - it was wall to wall cloud here yet people were still reporting aurora as visible!

Forecast is for G3 storms tonight from late evening:  https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/products/3-day-forecast

Edited by Shimrod
  • Thanks 1

Rechecked my all sky recording from last night, and I think the earliest I can see it is 21:26

As is typical the time that it happened was when I was indoors eating and waiting for my neighbour to turn his upstairs lights out