SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Trying out the new Duplex Moon Atlas

IB20

Lovely clear night so dragged the 8” light bucket out. Haven’t used it for a while but my word, this scope gives astonishingly good views, just wow. 

Been looking for a moon atlas for a while and this ticks all the boxes. Once I’d sorted the orientation out, being able to identify the craters was just a doddle. 
Theophilus, Cyrillus and Catharina craters are looking splendid tonight; Rima Ariadaeus is incredibly eye-catching too. Just a superb resource.

Quick phone snap attached with the 4mm TOE @ 300x.

38B32AB0-EED7-44A1-BC94-0FB2A0EC02CE.jpeg

B501BFE1-E579-4DB0-8EA2-7169FC9BDE63.jpeg

8E70E2DA-7A32-4FF5-BC19-35032A74FEC9.jpeg

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, IB20 said:

Quick phone snap attached with the 4mm TOE @ 300x

Just been going back and forth between your snap and the maps and I reckon at 500x the scale would be bang on.

Might have to get the HR's and a barlow out and give it a go.

Edited by Franklin
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Just been going back and forth between your snap and the maps and I reckon at 500x the scale would be bang on.

Might have to get the HR's and a barlow out and give it a go.

It’s a little cropped from the original EP image so maybe it could be closer to around 600x.

It’s really cool that I’ve unwittingly taken a picture of the Apollo 11 landing site, and I can now know this because of this exceptional atlas. 

• Like 1

It’s not bad, my only gripe is the contrast level chosen makes some rimae and wrinkle features very hard to spot. Eg look for rima and rules Cauchy.  Whereas the Rukl derived ones are much clearer, but lack detail. Of course changing the contrast scale would make other things less visible. On the whole a very welcome addition!

Peter

• Like 1